Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

L3M / L3T low frequency missing

Hi , we are a music band and we changed our config for line 6 l3m/l3t speakers .

previous config was M20D + amp phonic 1500 + 4x ev sx300 .

The new config is M20D and 1 X l3m + 1X l3t .

This config is using for Vocal , guitar ( firehawk direct to m20d) , and samples from computer .

Bassist has its own equipment .

I find there is a lack of bass ,very acute compared to ev sx300 , specially with sound guitar .

One L3S can bring some " fat " in my sound guitar ?

many thks for your answers

From what I can see of the ev sx300 speaker info, it is not advertised as an FRFR system. That means usually means it has some built-in low frequency enhancements. The Stagesource speakers are FRFR. I expect you will need to tweak your other components to compensate, either using the M20d channel settings or the source equipment.

I think your first step should be to enhance the low end frequencies in your setup, compensating for the difference in speakers (non-FRFR to FRFR). If you can't get what you want doing that, then consider an L3s (or consult the Rolling Stones - you just might find you get what you need).

Where I was coming from is that you've likely EQ'd channels, input equipment and main outs on the M20d appropriate for your old EV speakers.

Whenever you drive a different set of speakers, the "colour" that is right for one, is unlikely to be right for another, so by going right back to the beginning means you have an (now) clean sound with the L3M/T being neutral in the equation, then add the colour you want to fill up the lower frequencies (if you need to!)

I'd suspect that rather than having bass enhancement on the speakers, that the EQ'ing at stages in your line has had either it's treble boosted or it's bass reduced to get the sound you wanted with those speakers. Change to the 10" wider dispersion drivers in the L3M's and T's and it always going to sound *different* and, if either scenario above is true then they could be sounding quite "toppy". Reset all the input equipment, M20d channel and M20d output EQ'ing back to standard and then start again. Fresh "setup". Line6 Presets (not ones you've saved) and "Main Out" preset for the Mains

I can assure you there is no shortage of low end grunt in the L3M's and L3T's!

If you step up the venue size to something for 75-100 people, you'd then see the benefit from adding a single L3S.

Step up to a venue for 200+ people and a second L3S is wise.

I ran my 2x L3S + 2x L3M rig out in a 250 capacity room a few weeks ago and the sound was awesome... and I still had a good 10db of headroom left on the master.

I most commonly run with 2 subs in anything over 150 capacity but a single goes a long way!

For sure start with a reset.  The L3t/m have a very good low end.  Easily enough for guitar and vocals.  And if that's all you're running through your system it should be enough.  If you want to run bass and drums you will likely want to add the L3s.  I ran with a single L3s and two L3t for awhile and it worked great.  I added a second L3s which as far as I can tell pretty much just added headroom.  I can get much louder now with two than with one.