Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Can anyone recommend an external sound card?

Rocco_Crocco

I need decent LOUD sound card. The one I have now just doesn't get loud enough. I am running Windows 10 into JBL LSR305 5 Inch Powered Studio Monitors. When I use my POD HD500X as an audio interface the sound gets plenty loud, but I don't want to keep the POD on just to use it's sound card.

Budget is about $100.

Thanks!

You can get a Focusrite Audiobox 2x2 Audio Interface street price at Guitar Center or Amazon for $99.  Sounds like a good deal to me.  Then just leave your JBLs plugged into it and then use either the XLR or 1/4 " outs from your POD when you want to connect into it.  That's what I do and I get great sound and a clean recording signal as well through the audio interface.

If you're using powered studio monitors, how is whatever internal/external soundcard you're using now not loud enough? Or do you have other speakers you're using when not using the HD?

You might be able to dual purpose your monitor speakers as I notice they have both XLR and 1/4". So hook the HD using the XLR and use your current soundcard to hook into the 1/4" - which would probably require a customized cable(s).

• Upvote 1

If you're using powered studio monitors, how is whatever internal/external soundcard you're using now not loud enough? Or do you have other speakers you're using when not using the HD?

You might be able to dual purpose your monitor speakers as I notice they have both XLR and 1/4". So hook the HD using the XLR and use your current soundcard to hook into the 1/4" - which would probably require a customized cable(s).

I don't know how they are not loud enough. They just aren't. The speakers are dimed and are not loud.

You can get a Focusrite Audiobox 2x2 Audio Interface street price at Guitar Center or Amazon for $99.  Sounds like a good deal to me.  Then just leave your JBLs plugged into it and then use either the XLR or 1/4 " outs from your POD when you want to connect into it.  That's what I do and I get great sound and a clean recording signal as well through the audio interface.

Thanks. I bought what you recommended last night. Much better. Only proplem is I am supposed to get Studio One with it as part of the deal. There is no CD in the package, and when I went to register the Audiobox online, I got a message that the serial number for my unit has already been registered. LOL it must've been a return. Back it goes to GC today for an exchange.

Did you buy yours recently? Did it come with a Studio One CD or did you get  link to download it when you registered it? My free Reaper is going to expire next month so a free DAW is for me.

I don't know how they are not loud enough. They just aren't. The speakers are dimed and are not loud.

Check your volume levels in Windows 10's mixer and the levels for the default playback device (sound card) by right-clicking the speaker icon by the clock.