Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Talkbox with Helix?

JonnyPM

I'm using a JTV89 plugged in via the VDI(?) cable and want to use a talkbox. Can I put the talkbox in a loop and then set it up somehow so that when I turn that loop on it will cut the regular guitar signal? I would have the talkbox mic'd to go straight to the PA, maybe it goes back into the Helix. Need to try it tonight, but thought I'd ask incase anyone has experience.

Thanks!

I think it depends on the talk box. Some, the old ones, needed to be powered by the amp. You'd plug the speaker output of the amp to the talk box and out of the talk box to the speaker. Those won't work. If one of the newer ones has its own built in amp, I suppose you could feed it signal from one of the sends and put the output hose/tube next to a mic plugged into the Helix's mic input.

• Upvote 1

I use a Rocktron Banshee, but I've not integrated it with the Helix yet.  Still running it first in the chain. At some point I will probably create a few patches where I can bring it in through one of the loops and toggle it on/off as necessary.  It would be nice to be able to add a little reverb and/or delay after it.

Here's how I've got my talkbox configured:

- send 1 -> mini Marshall 12w head -> Dunlop Heil talkbox

- send/return block (tied to one of the footswitches) routes signal to send 1 and you can configure how much (if any) signal goes out of the Helix outputs in addition to what you're sending to the talkbox.

I will eventually be switching out the Marshall head for one of the Electro-Harmonix 44 Magnum pedals to reduce space and get more power.