Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Is there a global volume limiter on this thing?

ivsaken

I am currently connecting my HD500x with XLR left out mono to a powered 12" floor speaker wedge. 

I have read some posts here talking about signal/volume drops when connecting through XLR. I would accept that to be the case with me except when I have it connected USB and have HD Edit open, when switching patches, the volume spikes to that of what I would expect the volume to be. I have the Master itself and my speaker cranked. Only way I can get it even close is to crank the mixers all the way up to get it even close. 

Is there something limiting on there that gets shut off for a second when I am switching patches when connected via USB?

I am currently connecting my HD500x with XLR left out mono to a powered 12" floor speaker wedge. 

I have read some posts here talking about signal/volume drops when connecting through XLR. I would accept that to be the case with me except when I have it connected USB and have HD Edit open, when switching patches, the volume spikes to that of what I would expect the volume to be. I have the Master itself and my speaker cranked. Only way I can get it even close is to crank the mixers all the way up to get it even close. 

Is there something limiting on there that gets shut off for a second when I am switching patches when connected via USB?

The signal level used by the XLR line is designed for going to a mixing board with it's own preamp, whereas the 1/4" line is standard level for going direct into amps.  I don't know why you would have a spike when switching patches in HD Edit unless there's something in the program that somehow tests the input source.

Bottom line, the correct way electronically to connect direct to a powered speaker would either be through a 1/4" output or first into a preamp via XLR then out of the preamp to the speaker via XLR.

The signal level used by the XLR line is designed for going to a mixing board with it's own preamp, whereas the 1/4" line is standard level for going direct into amps.  I don't know why you would have a spike when switching patches in HD Edit unless there's something in the program that somehow tests the input source.

Bottom line, the correct way electronically to connect direct to a powered speaker would either be through a 1/4" output or first into a preamp via XLR then out of the preamp to the speaker via XLR.

Good call didn't think to try 1/4 into the powered speaker. What made me double take most what the huge boost in volume when switching channels, so that suggested to me there might be something limiting the volume on the patch, but I've tried making entirely new patches with the same problem. 

+1 for Nico's

"that's why in a live playing/recording scenario I would never have the Editor running with the device connected"

I had volume drops while editing patches via Edit on USB which stayed even if I switch the preset. Sending the patch and (actually superfluous) receiving it directly solves the problem. Hope this helps somehow.