Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Radio-Rich Voice

Hello guys, I am proud owner of Line6 POD Studio UX2, recently bought it and my goal was to get this voice - https://www.twitch.t...ican/v/57544485

That rich warm Radio voice, I know you'll say it depend on your voice, but his voice is not like that normally I've been watching him for a while. It's the effect.

The thing is I am really new to this kind of audio stuff and I have no idea what to put in Pod Farm 2 to get that voice, I'll be so happy if you guys can help me out.

Thanks in advice
Marty

A very good condenser mic, first of all!! My wife worked in radio for many years and I got to hang around with the tech guy and actually became the assistant tech for emergencys. At any rate I can tell you the secret in that sound is a great voice and a $5,000 rack box that contains compression, limiting, gate and EQ.

Radio and TV audio is compressed to hell and back!! You would not believe the excessive settings of compression and limiting they use. It seems that their theory is turn the compression/limiter up until it hurts and then turn it up some more. Proximity, as well, has a lot to do with it. The closer your mouth is to the mic the more bass you have. The farther, the bass disappears and the residual room sound starts being heard. Just think about the late night DJ with the bassy voice at 2 in the morning. He has his mouth shoved right up on that mic. BEWARE! Set the mic to the side of your mouth or slightly above so that wind noise doesn't make the diaphragm pop or the mic can pick up really excessive breath noises!

Hope this helps! I have to say I wouldn't be using PodFarm for this. I would be using an audio program with plugins to build up a chain of VST effects or a plugin designed to emulate a mixer channel. That voice effect is a combination of all of the FX I gave you. It can't be done with just one. The crucial thing is the use of both Compression and Limiting with a fast gate after them. Good luck!

One trick I've seen is to put the mic about nose bridge level and keep it about 3-4 inches away from your face. The right mic is fairly critical and most quality on air radio mics are around $400. Just google them. The Electrovoice RE20 comes to mind as being an industry standard.

• 7 years later...