Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix control of Variax Acoustic 700?

soundog

OK, so I now find that using the Helix "Variax Model" knob does indeed select Acoustic 700 models. But I haven't figured out any predictability.

Anyone out there in Line 6 world know how to translate JT or Standard Variax model commands/codes to those of the Acoustic 700? It seems sort of random short of lots of trial and error experimentation....

Helix only supports Variax JTV and Standard guitars. However, like you I have experienced some degree of success with Helix and my Variax 300. The Helix -> V300 communication seems to work. My V300 will successfully recall a stored model in the Helix preset. However the V300 -> Helix communication does not work. I have to edit the Helix preset manually, since Helix does not properly track or respond to changes made using the V300.

And since earlier Variax models are not supported it's possible that each one will behave differently.

Thanks, Silverhead. At least for the V300, the model selections are similar to the JTV and Standard and may translate Helix -> V300 just fine. The Acoustic 700 has completely different models, no Custom 1, no Custom 2, no 5 position pickup selector. So, I spent some time sussing it out. If you move the VA700 controls and knobs you can see what it effects on the Helix Variax controls, and then the opposite proves to be true: Helix -> VA700. 

Here is which VA700 knob selector models are selected from the Helix (and whatever models and tunings you have saved in the VA700 for each knob selector location is what you get):

Helix         VA700

Lester1 = Jumbo

Lester2-Dread

Lester3 = Triple )

Lester4 = Parlor

Chime4= Sitar

Chime5= Shamilamalama

R-Billy1 = Mandola

R-Billy2 =Banjo

RBilly3 = Sqr Neck

RBilly4 = Rnd Neck

RBilly5 = Blues 12

Special1 = Folk 12

Special2 = Nylon

Special3 = Jazz

Special4 = Gypsy

Special5 = C&W

The Volume control effects the VA700 Volume. The Tone control effects the VA700 Mic Position (tone). The Tuning controls on the Helix have no effect on the VA700 tunings, so you have to have those preset the way you want them on the VA700.

• Upvote 1

• 2 years later...

Hi there, know this is a super old thread, but I've found that my helix doesn't power or hear my Variax 700 acoustic via the line6 cable. My Pod HD500X used to at least provide power etc, even if it couldn't select guitar models.

Does anyone know how I can get the Helix to power the Variax 700AC please ?

Cheers

Hmmm.... Are you sure the VDI cable is good? I would think Helix should at least power the V700 though I wouldn't expect it to provide any control. Just to test (not long term) you could try a standard RJ-45 Ethernet cable.

• Upvote 1

• 4 years later...

I just tried out my new (to me) Variax 700 Acoustic on my Helix floor. Somehow in the updates in the last few years, the Helix has started reading the model names from the V7A, because they show up. In lower case and with extra characters, but they show up. The model names roll through twice and then repeat Sitar. I hoped the first set would be the green LED model settings, and the second set would be the red LED model settings, but no. Either one selects the green; however, regardless where the knob is, pressing the knob does change to the red setting of the model the Variax has loaded. (So that if, say, the knob is set to Sitar, and the Helix preset is set to choose the Jumbo, then pressing the knob on the V7A will, even though it's showing the Sitar, choose the Jumbo's red setting.)

I also found that the Helix's Tone setting is controlled by microphone slider, but altering the tone on the Helix alters both the microphone setting and the compression setting. Which is weird.