Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Won't get fooled again

Anyone tried the JTV Rbilly  Gretch 6120 along with a  Tweed Bassman POD amp?  This is supposed to be Pete Townsend's rig on Won't Get Fooled Again.   The few times I've tried various Fender amps in the pod i couldn't get much volume out of them.

The few times I've tried various Fender amps in the pod i couldn't get much volume out of them.

There's a knob for that...;)

Yes, the relative volumes of the amp models vary. Boost options abound, however. Mixer block, channel volume, wiring the FX loop back into itself and using the adjustable gain on the return, various EQ options, etc

Yes I go to channel volume and mixer first for these problems.   I'm leery of the raising the mixer too high due to clipping noises I've encountered.

I've tried things like a mid focus eq at the end of the chain but it can be tricky to get it to boost without coloring things.    I don't usually use the Fx loop so not sure what you're referring to there.     The red comp has, for good or bad, become my go-to compressor and is always second in line, with noise gate first.  I can usually boost the compressor up towards 70% but with it lying before the amps, it will affect drive.   Never heard of putting a compressor after the amp. ?

I don't usually use the Fx loop so not sure what you're referring to there.

Get a short little cable, like the ones you'd connect two stomp-boxes with back in the good old days. Connect the FX send straight into the return. Put the FX loop as the last block in your signal chain. Scroll over to the FX loop on the display, and under the edit parameters (same way you'd go in and edit any other effect), you can add a dB boost to the return signal. Only drawback is the FX loop in this thing is kinda noisy, but if you just need the boost for a solo, it doesn't matter much. You only really notice it when your not playing.

Never heard of putting a compressor after the amp. ?

I generally don't, but if it works, it works. You can't think of these things as a regular amp...
  • Upvote 1