Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Amp Switching on Recent Marshalls

plarkin

Has anyone successfully set up the amp switch to control channels on a recent Marshall amplifier?  Specifically, I'm using a Silver Jubilee reissue but I imagine most of them operate in a similar manner since they  all seem to use the same single-button footswitch.  I haven't yet tried inserting the plug halfway, nor have I tried a TRS cable (I'm not at my studio right now and can't get to the amp).

I did notice that, when using a standard mono cable fully inserted into the jack, the channels did not switch but the channel indicator on the front of the amp dimmed a bit when engaging the amp switch from the Helix.  I believe it was on the Ext Amp #1 setting (Amp #2 setting didn't do anything). When I got home last night I searched the forum a bit and found the two pointers mentioned above.

Any advice or pointers would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

I've heard that Helix does not work with the Silver Jubilee (which is a bummer as I really have my eye on one)

My old Laney AOR combo from the late 1980s does the same as you describe, with the LED dimming - but it does actually change channels, albeit the normal channel is very quiet - and there is a colossal hum.

The problem is caused because Helix does not use relays to switch the amp circuits on and off - a LOT of amps don't work properly with Helix. (including MESAs ... see below)

There are two options:

1) buy a MIDI amp switching unit (e.g. the RJM gizmo... http://www.rjmmusic.com/products/switch-gizmo )

or 

2) make a box like this with relays

Hi Ricky

Unfortunately, you have a ground loop... You'll need an external control switcher or a relay interface like this...

mk525_switch_3.jpg

I hope this helps

Seeya

Joe

I'd go with the second option as I am handy with a soldering iron and it's a lot cheaper

• Upvote 1

Just want to jump in here...could not for the life of my JCM2000 to change channels with Helix. So, I bought a FOOTSIM by Sound Sculpture. Absolutely amazing and easy to use. very plug and play...and has 4 channels. Fast channel and reverb switching. ....per patch or foot switch in the patch.

Thanks guys 

• 11 months later...

There is the chance always to go full midi, with 38$

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P3BPI4Y/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AMIHU7JS0U6DA

But is really annoying getting a 1.5k device, and it does not do simple amp switching with all amps as advertised...
I just got a Helix, I have it for 3 days, and already found this silly problem, I do got the HElix to use with external amp. Anyway I will keep this machine because it does a lot!
But this simple issue made me mad!@@#$

So the company who decide to build the cable relay interface for less than 38 US$, will sell a lot $$$$, Hope companies like Tim1 get one soon for sale.

Or hope line 6 came out with a free cable for Helix users!

I found this  Lehl device, do you think one of this can eliminate the terrible noise when connecting TRS cable to EXT AMP input? FOR CHANNNEL SWITCHING???
https://www.amazon.com/Lehle-DC-Filter-Removes-DC-Offset-Voltages/dp/B00KTEZ1O2

I also found this midi, the size and no power required sounds good... but I am not sure it can work for controlling a trs amp switch via midi with helix...

https://www.amazon.com/Lehle-Midi-Junction-Network-Box/dp/B001WAKOKS

• 7 months later...

There is the chance always to go full midi, with 38$

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P3BPI4Y/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AMIHU7JS0U6DA

But is really annoying getting a 1.5k device, and it does not do simple amp switching with all amps as advertised...

I just got a Helix, I have it for 3 days, and already found this silly problem, I do got the HElix to use with external amp. Anyway I will keep this machine because it does a lot!

But this simple issue made me mad!@@#$

So the company who decide to build the cable relay interface for less than 38 US$, will sell a lot $$$$, Hope companies like Tim1 get one soon for sale.

Or hope line 6 came out with a free cable for Helix users!

You can't really expect Line 6 to have every possible amp circuit covered. Unlike computers, there are no standards that amp builders have to adhere to.  I used a G System before my Helix and it did Midi and most relay based channel switching but you had to get a interface box to run certain Mesa channel switching.  I was using VHT Pittbulls in stereo and had to make my own adapter to go from 1/4 inch to DIN plug.  I did my homework when looking at the Helix to make sure it would work with my rig.  Take a deep breath, go to your amp users forums and see if there are others who have found solutions.  You may have to be the pathfinder on a fix.  Good luck.