Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Phantom Power and Helix

jshoenfelt

Ran my Helix for a couple of Sunday morning services, trying to track down where noise was coming from, finally shut off Phantom Power.  Will this cause permanent damage?  The noise seems to still be there even after Phantom was turned off. 

I purchased this when I first got the Helix and even with Phantom Power ON there is no issue with noise using XLR out.  I got this because several of the boards we have to use from time to time do not have individual channel Phantom Power capability.

https://www.amazon.com/PYLE-PRO-PHE400-Eliminator-2-Channel-Outputs/dp/B00BARTW42

Dennis

Dang that's cheap for a 2-channel line level iso box that isn't awful. Looks like it can convert 1/4" unbalanced in to XLR balanced out, yes?

I have not tried using the device for 1/4 in to XLR out.  I use it to forgo the Phantom Power issue at the mixing board.  However, the reviews from users who do have that configuration and the answer to that very question, all lower in the link, all say YES. 

Dennis

Don't see anything in the product specs specifically saying that it blocks phantom power. You're sure it does? I guess a 1:1 transformer inherently does, if done right. Have you heard a difference in sound with vs without it when phantom is on?

HEADS-UP: If I remember right, some people have reported actual damage from applying phantom to the Helix XLR outs, so please don't go trying that on my account!!!

No adverse effects on your tone from going through it in general? Seems very worthwhile for the price.

Don't see anything in the product specs specifically saying that it blocks phantom power. You're sure it does? I guess a 1:1 transformer inherently does, if done right. Have you heard a difference in sound with vs without it when phantom is on?

HEADS-UP: If I remember right, some people have reported actual damage from applying phantom to the Helix XLR outs, so please don't go trying that on my account!!!

No adverse effects on your tone from going through it in general? Seems very worthwhile for the price.

Not sure how it works, but the sound engineer at church was using these to somehow not let phantom power connect to the Helix.  Not sure if he was able to read something I didn't or I didn't understand when I did read the specs.  I just used his recommendation.

Dennis

Oh yea, as to the difference ...

1) Not using this device - massive hum

2) Using device - no hum

Dennis