Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

POD HD500X Northlane Tone

Stringbender94

Hey everyone, I just recently got a 7-string guitar and I have been playing a ton of Northlane lately. Problem is I can't dial in the tone that they use so I was wondering if anyone would be willing to help by creating a Northlane tone. I'm not experienced enough with the Pod to dial in the tone that they use so if anyone is a fan of Northlane and would like to help me out I would greatly appreciate it!

I see it's just some run of the mill Djont. The tone is reminiscent of early Monuments. These guys use ESPs and Jacksons with what looks like BKP Blackhawks..

If you have the metal pack, I suggest starting with the Panama model..I'd throw together something for you if I knew more about your other gear.

• Upvote 1

This one uses the Uber

And this one uses the Panama

Both presets are dual amps, a dirty and clean. Path A has Screamer/Gate/Amp/EQ for dirty. Path B has Comp/Amp/Delay/Mod with EXP2 set for channel volume for swells on the clean tone. Go from dirty to clean with FS5.

I made these patches with my Ibanez SIR27FD with Dimarzio Ionizers, humbuckers that have a single coil kind of sound, and coming through an Alto TS112a, so don't be surprised if the sound is not to your liking.

I have the ESP E-II JONATHON DEILEY SIGNATURE JDT-7B BARITONE

• Alder body with waist cut
  • Ash top
  • 3-piece maple neck
  • Ebony fingerboard with 6mm clay style dot inlays
  • 27" baritone scale
  • Neck-thru construction
  • GrapTech TUSQ nut
  • Schaller Hannes Bridge
  • CTS 550k Volume pot with dummy tone pot
  • 3-way blade pickup selector
  • Neck pickup: Bare Knuckle Pickups Black Hawk 7-string with Alnico V magnet
  • Bridge pickup: Bare Knuckle Pickups Black Hawk 7-string with Ceramic magnet
  • Dunlop Flush Mount Strap Locks
  • Gotoh Locking Tuners
  • 3-tone sunburst lacquer top coat (nitro) finish
  • Natural satin neck grip finish

I currently plug into the POD HD500X and then into a Spider IV 75 wat amp. I'm not sure what string brand the guitar came with but I know it's the same string gauge as what Jon Deiley uses which are .80 on top and then a .66, etc. I use DUNLOP picks which are 1.0 mm in thickness. The jack cable I use is a live wire advantage series 1/4" straight instrument cable​. Based off the information could you dial in a Northlane tone?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone, I just recently got a 7-string guitar and I have been playing a ton of Northlane lately. Problem is I can't dial in the tone that they use so I was wondering if anyone would be willing to help by creating a Northlane tone. I'm not experienced enough with the Pod to dial in the tone that they use so if anyone is a fan of Northlane and would like to help me out I would greatly appreciate it!

Hey man, 

I am a Northlane fan too! Or should I say better that Northlane is my favorite band and I am obsessed with them???  :rolleyes:

Anyways, I have searched everything I could find concerning their gear and how they build their tones, because I wanted, as well, a tone that would really bring out that Low F and would be really aggressive and articulate just like their tone!

And the closest I could get with my Pod HD500X and my ESP LTD-1007 is this: http://www.audiomack.com/song/sb-soundlab/northlane-worldeater-pod-hd

I own the Pod HD for 1,5 years and this tone took me 2 months of everyday tweaking to build. I don't doubt that someone could build a tone like this in far less time, but I would suggest, since you just started, to take it easy, because their tone is very very hard to emulate it with the Pod HD, due to its' cab and mic sims, unless you want to start messing with IR's. Then things would get much easier.

Some general tips I could give you about building modern metal tones is to use the Treadplate or Angel F Ball amp sim, and before the amp use a screamer and a noise gate. (You can use a comp too, but that depends on the patch). 

After you have settled down with your basic setup start messing around with some EQing. (This takes time to master. The more you try to shape your tones with the EQ's the better you will become in emulating tones)

I suggest using the graphic & the studio eq for boosting/cutting wide areas of frequencies and the parametric eq for small areas (these small areas are very important.) 

And to close my long post, the key to these metalcore tones are the upper mids. The most important frequency for these tones is a small area around 3k Hz. Try boosting this particular frequency with a parametric EQ set up like this: 

Lows: 50%    Highs: 50%   Freq: 84%   Q: 85-100%   Gain: 60-80%

I hope these help. If you need anything else, don't hesitate to ask us! :)

Hey man, 

I am a Northlane fan too! Or should I say better that Northlane is my favorite band and I am obsessed with them???  :rolleyes:

Anyways, I have searched everything I could find concerning their gear and how they build their tones, because I wanted, as well, a tone that would really bring out that Low F and would be really aggressive and articulate just like their tone!

And the closest I could get with my Pod HD500X and my ESP LTD-1007 is this: http://www.audiomack.com/song/sb-soundlab/northlane-worldeater-pod-hd

I own the Pod HD for 1,5 years and this tone took me 2 months of everyday tweaking to build. I don't doubt that someone could build a tone like this in far less time, but I would suggest, since you just started, to take it easy, because their tone is very very hard to emulate it with the Pod HD, due to its' cab and mic sims, unless you want to start messing with IR's. Then things would get much easier.

Some general tips I could give you about building modern metal tones is to use the Treadplate or Angel F Ball amp sim, and before the amp use a screamer and a noise gate. (You can use a comp too, but that depends on the patch). 

After you have settled down with your basic setup start messing around with some EQing. (This takes time to master. The more you try to shape your tones with the EQ's the better you will become in emulating tones)

I suggest using the graphic & the studio eq for boosting/cutting wide areas of frequencies and the parametric eq for small areas (these small areas are very important.) 

And to close my long post, the key to these metalcore tones are the upper mids. The most important frequency for these tones is a small area around 3k Hz. Try boosting this particular frequency with a parametric EQ set up like this: 

Lows: 50%    Highs: 50%   Freq: 84%   Q: 85-100%   Gain: 60-80%

I hope these help. If you need anything else, don't hesitate to ask us! :)

Am I able to download the tone that you have made?

• 2 years later...
On 7/7/2016 at 8:38 AM, AlexKenivel said:

I see it's just some run of the mill Djont. The tone is reminiscent of early Monuments. These guys use ESPs and Jacksons with what looks like BKP Blackhawks..

If you have the metal pack, I suggest starting with the Panama model..I'd throw together something for you if I knew more about your other gear.

Hey Alex,

I have the ESP E-II JONATHON DEILEY SIGNATURE JDT-7B BARITONE

• Alder body with waist cut
  • Ash top
  • 3-piece maple neck
  • Ebony fingerboard with 6mm clay style dot inlays
  • 27" baritone scale
  • Neck-thru construction
  • GrapTech TUSQ nut
  • Schaller Hannes Bridge
  • CTS 550k Volume pot with dummy tone pot
  • 3-way blade pickup selector
  • Neck pickup: Bare Knuckle Pickups Black Hawk 7-string with Alnico V magnet
  • Bridge pickup: Bare Knuckle Pickups Black Hawk 7-string with Ceramic magnet
  • Dunlop Flush Mount Strap Locks
  • Gotoh Locking Tuners
  • 3-tone sunburst lacquer top coat (nitro) finish
  • Natural satin neck grip finish

I currently play through a POD HD500X out my studio speaker system. I really am having trouble dialing in that perfect Northlane tone. If you haven't heard their new song Vultures I highly recommend it as it is a ripper. If you are able to create a tone similar to that song I would greatly appreciate it man.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks!