Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pedal testing idea: how many FX loops + amp models in parallel>?

ColonelForbin

Ok, I have an idea I want to try, not sure what the limits I will hit, but here goes!

I have four different distortion pedals that I want to compare; and was thinking of running each pedal into it's own fx loop in Helix, or at least, as many as I can also process through separate paths with amp/cab models, and send to different and or panned left right USB outs for recording. (IE, pan path 1 left send to USB1/2, pan path 2 right, send to USB 1/2...record path 1 as mono track USB1, path 2 mono USB 2).. I've done something similar sending an XLR of amp only from a powerstation into Helix, and through four different IR's.

Is it even remotely possible to build a preset with four paths + four amp models? All set to guitar as the input, and through four instances of fx loops -> amp/cab and/or amp+ir, then send each to it's own recording track? No other fx blocks would be needed; just the fx loop sends returns and as many instances of the same amp/cab model for each.

(For what it's worth, I'm comparing a Fulltone OCD, Friedman BE-OD, JHS @, and Bogner Burnley...)

Cheers!

Ok, I have an idea I want to try, not sure what the limits I will hit, but here goes!

I have four different distortion pedals that I want to compare; and was thinking of running each pedal into it's own fx loop in Helix, or at least, as many as I can also process through separate paths with amp/cab models, and send to different and or panned left right USB outs for recording. (IE, pan path 1 left send to USB1/2, pan path 2 right, send to USB 1/2...record path 1 as mono track USB1, path 2 mono USB 2).. I've done something similar sending an XLR of amp only from a powerstation into Helix, and through four different IR's.

Is it even remotely possible to build a preset with four paths + four amp models? All set to guitar as the input, and through four instances of fx loops -> amp/cab and/or amp+ir, then send each to it's own recording track? No other fx blocks would be needed; just the fx loop sends returns and as many instances of the same amp/cab model for each.

(For what it's worth, I'm comparing a Fulltone OCD, Friedman BE-OD, JHS @, and Bogner Burnley...)

Cheers!

Yep, just tried it an it works fine in Sonar.  4 paths all set to multi, FX Loops 1-4 (one on each), same amp on all 4, same IR on all 4 (but have to use 1024 samples), USB 1/2 pan L, USB 1/2 Pan R, USB 3/4 Pan L, USB 3/4 Pan R.  Not even sure that you have to pan the USB's, but I did it to be safe.

That's a really cool idea CF!!!