Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Sample rates and IRs

rd2rk

My Helix came set by default to 48k. Redwirez and (some) Ownhammer Impulses have folders of IRs at different sample rates, so I choose the 48k impulses. Rosen and 3Sigma don't have this option.

Anybody know what this is about?

Sorry, my bad, 3Sigma does come with different sample rates, but the Rosen Custom sets I have just have the one non-specific set of 3.

The Helix automatically converts whatever you feed it to 16/48? I assume then that if I set the Helix at a higher rate, that it converts to that rate?

Sorry, my bad, 3Sigma does come with different sample rates, but the Rosen Custom sets I have just have the one non-specific set of 3.

The Helix automatically converts whatever you feed it to 16/48? I assume then that if I set the Helix at a higher rate, that it converts to that rate?

Have a look here: http://line6.com/support/page/kb/_/effects-controllers/helix/impulse-response-irs-r759

Even if you set the digital output of Helix to a higher sample rate, that's different from the IR sample rate, which would be 48kHz regardless.

I don't have any of the Custom sets from Rosen Digital, just the Carvin Legacy and Peavey XXX, which have the different sample rates for the three files located in a folder called 'S-Gear & Other'.

The user may choose a
1,024-sample version to save DSP, which fades out the IR halfway through

How does that affect the sound?

I'm guessing, then, that to use full 2048 samples, I should set up the amp and IR before adding other effects, while there's plenty of dsp available?

The first thing to go when you start chopping an IR is the low end. That's what I noticed when I tried this inside a DAW. But if I remember right, I didn't really start to notice anything until well below 1024 samples. So if you're having DSP problems, changing from a 2048 to 1024 sample IR would be a good place to look first, which won't have any significant effect on the tone.

As you use your Helix more and more, you'll start to figure out, or get a feel for, when you might run up against the DSP wall and some things you can to do. Probably one of the most important actions is to split things up between the two processor paths; if things won't fit on path A, move some stuff from that path to path B.