Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

External and Internal drive effects

ramosv

Hi! I just want to throw a question to everybody. :)

While using the amp sims, I tried using my HD500x with external drive pedals (infront and via Send/Return) and it doesn't "feel" the same when using the internal drive pedals. I mean yes the sound I get is different but there is a difference. I am not sure if it is the attack, or the reactiveness. If I try to describe it seems there is a VERY small latency when using external drive effects. I don't feel this latency while playing, but when I do an A-B comparison, it's there. Another description could be is that the internal drive effects are more responsive. Am I making any sense? The external drive pedals I tried were Catalinbread DLS, MI Audio SCB, Wampler Sovereign, EHX Soul food.

Anyway I have set aside all my stomp boxes for months already and used my unit by itself, but am considering purchasing a new drive pedal. If I can get some clarity on my situation above then I can decide if I should proceed with the purchase. :)

the reason the modeled overdrives give a different response compared to the external ones is mainly because the models are reached by a double input signal, since the patch default input settings are: input1=everything and input2=same..

by comparison when you connect your guitar directly to your stomp boxes only one standard input signal goes into them..

if you want you can change input2 setting to an unused source in order to send a not doubled signal also to the models..

regarding the FX Loop SEND output, some compared its signal level (in Stomp mode) to the dry input signal (with input2 set to null/variax) and it seems that there is around 3dB loss, which loss obviously also affects the response of the connected stomp boxes, however there are controls and options to get unity gain..

it's normal to get a little time gap when changing/comparing presets, especially if the POD is being connected/edited through the Editor..

the following is an old post that in the past has been pinned in the L6 old version forum home page and has been read a million times

2qleewx.jpg

What every HD500 owner needs to know!

Speaking of putting external drive pedals in the FX Loop... What would be the optimal settings for an distortion pedal for example? Setting send/return to neutral? Stomp or line?

I would refer to the instructions given in these two 4CM tutorials:

HOWTO: Line 6 HD500 and 4CM configuration for the JVM

and

Blackstar Venue in 4CM with new POD HDs

So stomp it is...? In my experience it makes the external drive pedal LOUDER than line. Shouldn´t it be the other way around?

in the POD HD500 Quick Start Guide is written:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Effects Loop - provides a stereo (when using a TRS cable) FX Send

and a stereo FX Return. Set the FX LOOP LEVEL switch to LINE to

operate at higher peak-to-peak voltage, making it optimal for line level

devices. The loop can also be used with stomp boxes by setting the FX

LOOP LEVEL switch to STOMP

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

as I understand it, it should be the opposite of what you say..

ie Line should give a stronger signal than Stomp

Thank you. That´s wierd.... Have to investigate it!