Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Just some simple questions

chrisvermaak

Had my Helix since March 2016. Love it

Finally getting some real nice tones. I only play clean and mainly Shadows Hank Marvin.

But some simple questions (please forgive my ingnorance):

What is the difference between an IR and Amp block or Cab or Amp+Cab block. Are the blocks not IR's?

Is an IR a full once off sound setup including all kinds of effects processed for a specific sound tone?

If I bypass a block (still visible on screen but dulled out) does that completely release any load from that block on the DSP?

Please could Line 6 list DSP consumption on all the effects from most agressive to least aggressive.

Even if the list is just in terms of groups of effects, (Amps, Cabs, Compressors, Modulation.......etc)

Irs typically in this case do not have FX built in. It focuses on the cabinet. So its cab + speakers + mic(s) and there placement + sometimes coloring of the space it is recorded in. It is a convolution process. There are also IRs that are strictly high quality reverbs, but Helix doesn't do those.

Not sure on dsp load with bypass.

Any amp/FX block that is included in a preset consumes DSP whether it is active or not. Its required DSP capacity is still reserved for it even when it is not active because it could be activated at any time. Assigning any block to a signal path is like reserving its seat in the DSP theatre. The patron may be in the washroom, or not even show up, but you can't sell the seat to anyone else in case they do show up / return. The space is reserved (and paid for in terms of DSP consumption). You want the seat back? Cancel the reservation (you have to delete the block - you can't just turn it off).

Personally I wouldn't get too hung up on DSP usage unless you're building big, complex signal chains with lots of amps and effects.  If you want to be sure you have plenty just route your 1st signal chain to go to the 2nd signal chain for output and you'll basically double your DSP allotment and can add in all sorts of stuff into that second chain.