Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix not playing nice with Majik Box Rocket Fuel :(

FarleyUK

Right guys, got a big issue going on here - just got a Majik Box Rocket Fuel OD/Boost pedal, and when I put it in any of the Helix loops, it's very, very noisy. As in, unplayably noisy - loads of buzzing, humming, clicking etc.

Had the same issue with a similar pedal, which I returned.

Just tried it direct in front of the Helix, and while it was better, it's still very noisy.

I'm using a 9v center negative power supply as the manufacturer suggests, but I'm stumped on what's causing this. Really doesn't seem to play nice with the Helix - does anyone have any ideas?

That's interesting - just opened it up, and it had shipped with a battery - tried it without the power supply and it's better, although still pretty noisy. Have tested it on a plexi model, with the amp gain around 6 and still had to have a noise gate after the amp block!

Pretty unusable with a JCM800 model - just a mass of hissing and noise, even with low amp gain.

Not had a chance to test with my main amp yet - will do and will report back.

Not all power supplies are created equal. I've used some cheap wall warts just laying around the house on some pedals, and they created a LOT of noise in the pedal. You should be in good shape with the OneSpot. They have some pretty trash free DC power. 

Turn on the noise gate at the beginning of your chain too so that noise from the pedal is only there while you are playing. 

Were the Power Supply, your Helix, and your Amp all connected to/sharing the same AC power strip/circuit feed? Are you using any type of power filter/conditioner device before the AC outlets? A minor dispartity in the ground potential of different circuit feeds can have a dramatic effect!

The only factor tending to dismiss the above as being the sole responsible issue is that when using the internal battery only, the ground and AC power issues are eliminated from the equation. Thus you could have multiple causes each contributing to the interference you are hearing. Also try using a fresh 9v battery if you have one. If you do not have a multimeter handy to confirm the 9v battery's voltage, you can use the age old tip of the tongue test.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I replaced the pedal with another one - and getting the same thing.

Have changed the loop it's connected to, and running the pedal on battery power. Also changed all cables.

I've noticed the noise drops a bit if I connect the SEND from the FX Loop to the input of the ebTech Hum Eliminator, but it's still really noisy. Also checked that the loop is set to instrument and not line.