Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

G10 drops signal past two feet.

Sabot15

I'm struggling with my G10 constantly dropping signal for about 0.5 seconds at a time.  

This is actually my second unit.  I bought my first G10 the week it came out, and I had this disconnect problem this from day one.  It worked fine if I stood over it, but more than 3 feet away, and it would keep cutting out.  I exchanged it with another unit, which seemed to work fine.  I had no major issues until now. (6 months later?)  Now it's acting exactly like the last unit.  

I've updated to 1.04 on the transmitter, and according to the solid green light, the transmitter is fully charged.  Nothing has changed in my room or rig.  I don't have my cell phone anywhere near the either the transmitter or receiver.  The unit is on the upper right of my pedal board with no obstruction.  The closest thing to it is 3 inches away.  

I have line of sight obviously.  I'm only a few feet away... What the heck is going on with these things?   I'm pretty disappointed right now.

I'd appreciate any advice you can offer.

This sort of a repeating momentary drop out, seems like it may be an RFI (Radio Frequency Interference) problem, possibly from what is known as signal capture which can occur if there is another nearby strong signal.

When you power on the G10 system with the transmitter in the receiver base unit (or a Spider V amp) it scans for a clear channel (amongst the 14 it has available to operate on). It will do this each time you power on the base unit with the transmitter connected. If your location has other strong nearby signals (WiFi Router, Microwave, Wireless house phone, other WiFi or wireless devices, etc.) the G10 will bypass any of it's 14 channels that are noisy or busy to select a clean channel. However, if the other signal sources are not active when you first power on your G10 system, those possible interfering signals will not be detected by the G10. Thus, the channel the G10 uses will be the first clear one it finds. This may be close to the offending interfering sources -- when they are active -- causing the momentary dropouts.

The best method would be to begin with all of those other potential signal sources in full operation. Enable the or cause them to be in operation before you poweron and insert the G10's transmitter into the base to allow the G10 to see the offending signals, thus selecting another clear channel to use.

Keep in mind that once the G10 finds a clear channel to use, the next time you reseat it back into the base, the process will reset back to square one. If you discover this, you may want to get the dedicated G10 USB charging cable to avoid having to reseat the G10 back to the base to recharge it, or, simply repeat the channel selection process with the other signals in full operation. This same sequence would be the case, for example, if another band member also had a G10 and you each wanted your G10 to operate on a different channel. You would have to start one and begin using it. The next unit, while it is in the powered base, would then seense the first G10's transmission on the first channel, and the second G10 system would select another channel.

If none of this works, contact Line 6 for them to assist.

There is no method to set and lock the G10 for a desired channel using solely the base and receiver. I believe, I read that manual G10 channel selection is available via the Spider V Amps menus when the G10 is used with those amps.

Hope this helps.

Thank you very much Music Law,

This was extremely helpful. I do have a wireless router in the next room over which may be causing some of the issue. I definitely feel like I have some sessions that are plagued by interference much worse than other sessions even though I'm in the same room with the same equipment. From your description, there's a good chance it's not picking the optimal channel. When I get home today, I will definitely experiment with this.

Thanks again for the great suggestion!

So I went back, and I made sure that any potential noise generating equipment (cell phone and wifi router unit) were nearby and in use when I powered on my G10 unit.  Basically I just streamed a video to my phone when I powered it on.  Indeed, the unit was much less prone to cutting out this time.  I think you were right.  It wasn't perfect, but it was much better than what I was getting earlier.  

Thanks for your help! :)  

• 4 weeks later...