Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Channel switch and expression pedal

Jmol2317

Hey guys,

I just got my helix lt and I'm trying to figure out if it's gonna be able to replace my existing pedal board with a switcher on it and I'm a little stuck and am unsure if what I'm trying here is possible. I'm using 4CM (well I guess 5CM) with a cable going to the channel switch on my amp. I've found out how to use snapshots to channel switch for me, but now the expression pedal doesn't work. I'm seeing that it's changing to the other ex option but is there a way to channel switch and still have access to the expression pedal? Thanks

So after watching the video he doesn't touch on it. When I'm using the ext amp jack to do it (as my amp isn't midi) the expression pedal built onto my helix becomes inactive. Because it's switching to EXT1 where the expression pedal is EXP 2. So to use the expression pedal I have to return to my clean channel.

Make sure you didn't accidentally add the expression pedal change to your switch, if you know what I mean.

As far as I know, it shouldn't do that unless you tell it to. (I assume you mean EXP1, not EXT1?)

I have a regular Helix, not an LT, but I imagine it works the same as the rest of the Line 6 expression pedals; you should also be able to switch it back by using the toe switch in the expression pedal... press hard with your toe, It can seem quite hard to activate till you get used to it....

By default, most patches are built with the expression pedal set to EXP2 for the volume pedal for some reason, and EXP1 is set to the WAH pedal.  And since it seems all the factory patches have a volume pedal, and that's what's on by default, it's always EXP2 for consistency. But it can be set however you want.

I'll look again later today when I can try it some more. But when I activate the channel switch it takes the expression pedal out of action. The toe switch seems to not be involved as I currently have it as an instant switch on snapshots. But is the same story with it set as a foot switch option.

You have the toe switch as an instant switch in snapshots?

Do you mean a momentary switch?

Why use the expression pedal toe switch for anything other than switching between expression pedals? (just wondering)

I would try rebuilding the patch, and don't involve the expression pedal/toe switch and see if you still get the same response.

I've mistakenly set expression pedal stuff on switches and gotten weird stuff goin' on.

Oh no, there is no toe switch option right now. On one snapshot it has clean amp, and volume pedal, the next is to be dirty amp, activate a Minotaur and have the volume pedal. It does all the switches but leaves the volume pedal no longer is controlled by the expression pedal, and is set at the volume level that it wa last placed at. I'll try and take a video and post it to highlight where the problem occurs. Thank you for the help so far :)

So after watching the video he doesn't touch on it. When I'm using the ext amp jack to do it (as my amp isn't midi) the expression pedal built onto my helix becomes inactive. Because it's switching to EXT1 where the expression pedal is EXP 2. So to use the expression pedal I have to return to my clean channel.

The first 6 minutes of the video is using the EXT AMP connection on Helix, not MIDI. It also shows him assigning the EXT AMP control to a foot switch. MIDI comes in later in the video. 

This may sound silly, but also be sure you have your amp switching cable plugged into the EXT AMP  port, and not one of the EXP ports. Step 1 in troubleshooting for me always starts with checking signal flow/connections. 

Go to the "problem" snapshot, activate the EXP2 by pressing the toe switch and save the snapshot.

It seems you might have switched to EXP1 at some time and saved the snapshot.

Ok, this sounds like it has the highest chance of success. Will update after I can try it

The first 6 minutes of the video is using the EXT AMP connection on Helix, not MIDI. It also shows him assigning the EXT AMP control to a foot switch. MIDI comes in later in the video. 

This may sound silly, but also be sure you have your amp switching cable plugged into the EXT AMP  port, and not one of the EXP ports. Step 1 in troubleshooting for me always starts with checking signal flow/connections.

I did have it in. Haha. But definitely true. I think we've all had one of those "wtf... oh, it's not plugged in..." moments

That's not really fixing it....

Maybe you could post a picture of your preset and describe what you are trying to do....  And post the preset itself.

Did you know that the presets are human readable text files?  You could export the preset and might be able to figure out what's going on just by looking at the settings.