Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Recording Acoustic Guitar with Helix?

DanielJW

I tried to record some acoustic parts using the Helix yesterday. I don't use an electric acoustic so I mic it up. The signal chain was Shure SM57 into the mic input, then I ran it through the LA Studio Comp - Studio Preamp - Reverb then out of the Helix into a Zoom R24 recorder. I know that the 57 isn't exactly the best mic for an acoustic but I've achieved good results with it by plugging directly into the R24 before. No matter what I tried I just couldn't get enough volume going into the recorder. I tried turning all the levels on the Helix and the effects up but it wasn't having much of an effect. The only way I could get a strong enough signal was to turn up the gain on the recorder which resulted in a lot of noise. In the end I plugged directly into the R24 and the signal was fine. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or totally going the wrong way about this. Thanks.

You have to set the gain for the mic input under Global Settings>Ins/Outs, Knob 3, "Mic In Gain".

its al,ostmcertainly this. Btw, get the 3 sigma acoustic IRs and you might get a good enough tone plugged in to record with. No lie.