Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

pedalboard mode quick question

niccapotamus

Hi Folks

just thinking about getting a pod HD for giggin.  I'm an old stompbox user running into a Blackstar series 1 6l6 100w head and cab.

because my brain is wired into stompboxes just a quick question

is it easy to set up the pod 500hd to run 4 cable method (I have seen the tutorials so I think it's ok) and use it like a series of different pedalboards so that I have one main pedalboard for my strat set up and maybe two or three different pedalboards for the les paul, for instance.

reason being is that I like to boost the strat and add some compression and also have a basic delay and reverb available to switch on and off

moving to the les paul, boost is helpful, but I have songs where differering delays are used.

so in the first instance and to get me gigging with it in confidence that's how I'd try to set it up.  

is it easy to do this, are the controls intuative and how many "effects" pedals can I have running/switch on and off at any one time?  I'm not likely to be using amp or cabinet models as the blackstar and cab are well capable so it's mainly loads of stompers.  

I like to have the volume pedal running in the loop of the amp, but the wah when It's going in front of the amp - if that makes sense.  

thanks a lot

nick

I was going to say the same thing --- buying an HD500 and not using the modeling is like buying a Ferrari so that you can drive up and down the driveway to check the mail. 

But, to answer the questions --- 

1. I do not recommend that anyone ever use the HD500 for a gig the day they buy it. The HD500 is not "user friendly". Well, at least, not at first. But what happens is, after being thoroughly confused for a month or two (based on usage, experimentation, and experience) you will have this moment of clarity and it will all make sense. From that moment on, the HD500 will be your best friend and you will kick yourself for not understanding it sooner. 

2. Each patch can have 8 effects. I do not use 4cm, but I believe the fx loop counts as an effect. Amp modeling is not counted as fx. You can have 512 patches. So, as long as you do not need more than 8 effects for one song, you can easily use the unit. 

• Upvote 1

thanks!

I thought about the M13 but it only has 4 effects at any one time which is fine although maybe a bit tight, but I'm after an expression pedal for the wah and volume control

8 effects is far better :)  and second hand the POD is very good value 

and we are going to play a festival or two next year where we will be using an unknown backline when the modelling will be very useful 

I don't know the M's first hand, but there are a couple different ones. 

Used prices and availability vary. 

Obviously, if you can buy a used HD500, that negates the Ferrari example - in terms of finances. But, it still is a valid point. You are buying a modeler, and not using the modeling. 

So, instead of a $400,000 sports car for something that a Hovaround will suffice, let's say.... 

You want to buy a bulldozer to transport your children instead of hauling two tons of concrete. 

Just about anyone can do effects. Line 6 is the modeling company. You buy L6 because you want to model. 

and we are going to play a festival or two next year where we will be using an unknown backline when the modelling will be very useful 

But modeling is not a simple "turn on, turn off" thing. You need to build your patches around the model you are using. 

• Upvote 2