Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix routing, inputs, outputs, stereo, etc.

rpschultz13

Just got my Helix. I can create a split and merge from 1 input. But it doesn't seem possible to take 2 actual inputs and merge them, or split 1 input to 2 separate actual outputs. There's that dashed line between the two on the screen.

1) First, very simple, can't I get the same signal out of both L and R 1/4" jacks?

2) Can I input 2 pickups from my acoustic guitar, merge them using a PAN function and then output to 1 output.

HELP!

Thanks.

Ryan

Sure! You can do this in a variety of ways. Helix is very flexible.

By default, Helix's Input Block signals and FX Returns are routed to both formats (1/4" and XLR) of Helix's Main Outs. You may change this routing via your Signal Path Block Parameter configurations via Pan parameters, via Global Settings, and Output Block configurations.

If you are connecting a mono signal source to Helix, it will be present at both the L and R 1/4" Main Output Jacks. It will also be present at the FX Send 1/4" Outs if you define an FX Send Block in your Signal Path.

Regarding two Pickups from your Acoustic Guitar, you could use Helix's Main Guitar In and Aux In, or Main Guitar In and an FX Return. The latter woudl be he way you would have to go if you have a Helix LT. Depending on the design of your Acoustic's pickups, you may would need to adjust the signal levels accordingly due to the output of the Acoustic's pickups. If you have full Helix (Floor or Rack) you could also explore the Helix's Mic XLR In (depending on the output type of your Acoutic's pickups/eletronics pkgs).

Once connected to the Helix you would define another signal path. Either Path 1B or 2A, unless you chose to use the FX Return and defined an FX Block on your Path 1A Signal Path.

As Helix offers many signal path routing, Serial, Super Serial, Parallel, etc. there are several ways to configure what will work best for your acoustic and any other desired Blocks in your Signal Path (Compressors, Studio Tube PreAmp, Chorus, Reverb, Delay, etc.)

Also bear in mind that Helix's two DSP chips are dedicated one each to Path 1A/1B and Path 2A/2B. Thus, if your Path 1A/1B becomes too conjested with Blocks such that it consumes DSP resources of the first chip, route your signal path to Path 2A/2B.

The Signal Path routing is done, first, using the Joystick to select an existing block in Path 1A, then using the Action Button, then dragging the selected Block down to create Path 1B. Once you have done this, you may then select the Spiit and Merge points (also known as Blocks), as well as the Output Block of Path 1A or Path 1B to access other Menu choices by pressing the Joystick button. The actual process is quicker than reading the description! ;)

Hope this helps, and I'm sure that others will also provide more insights.