Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Amp Channel Switching for 6505+

TRUMPERNICUS

You wouldn't be able to control the 6505 directly from the Helix without having some sort of breakout box or cable. This thread talks about how the pinout for that 7-pin connection works: http://voodoolab.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4945

Even with that, the Helix would only be able to control two of those functions.

The other option would be the Voodoo Lab Control Switcher: http://www.voodoolab.com/controlswitcher.htm

I believe the "Multi" jack on it is compatible with these Peavey amp. With that and the Helix, you could control everything with MIDI.

Cool, thanks for the help. I'm not in love with the idea of having to purchase additional gear and use MIDI. I had actually heard the Helix would perform the relay switching with the 6505+ but since it doesn't I may be looking to send it back to the reseller.

I'll give it a chance, but I don't have much faith that any amp modeler preset or configuration played through the clean channel on that amp can come anywhere close to matching the tone you get from the gain channel. I'd love to do both, but if MIDI is my only option I will likely end up going with an HD500X for half the cash. Unless this thing can pull of some kind of miracle tone that I fall head over heels in love with :/

I'll give it a chance, but I don't have much faith that any amp modeler preset or configuration played through the clean channel on that amp can come anywhere close to matching the tone you get from the gain channel. 

Oh no. It wont, but used in the right configuration it can. With the right gear in the mix, you'll probably run into a FEW tones that youre not willing to part with. Thats any modeler though. Not just Helix. 

Running helix into the fx return of your amp izz the recommended approach, but often running straight thru the clean channel like youre doing sounds better. Some times the fx return sounds better.

• 3 years later...

Peavey 6505+ Made in USA  and HELIX footcontrol mod without midi!!!!

This mod is reversible and free of charge, if you don’t want to cut the original cable, 
buy another 7 din cable. I used a TS jack so the fx loop will stay always ON to use Helix 4 cables method.

Follow my guide:

Take the original peavey 6505+ footswitch cable, take out the screw on the 7 din connector and separate all 7 wires and take a picture so you will remember the original position of wires into every pin.
Ground wire must be soldered on ring and Black goes on jack’s tip
Isolate all other wires 
Connect Green and Orange together with insulant tape
Use Ext amp on helix
Press menu on Command Center and set the footswitch mode 1-1 clean and 2-2 for distortion and assign it to a bank

DONE!