Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Record expression pedal movement

p8guitar

I have a sound where the expression pedal controls the amount of delay mix and feedback. I want to record the dry signal and the expression pedal movements in my DAW to be able to fine-tune the movements later (using Helix native plug-in for the guitar sound).

How do I record the pedal movement, so that it can be understood by the Helix native plug-in? 

Recording the expression pedal movement is pretty straightforward. In your preset, go to the command center, select the desired expression controller, then adjust the parameters accordingly. Command: MIDI CC, MIDI Ch: x, CC#: x (I use 2 because when I send the recorded midi data back to Helix for reamping, 2 is the midi cc for expression controller 2), Min Value: 0, Max Value: 127. Then in your DAW (I use Reaper), have a track with its input set to MIDI: Line 6 Helix: Channel x (whatever MIDI Ch you set in the command center).

In your preset, delay mix and feedback will both be assigned to the same expression controller.

As far as using this recorded midi data as an input for Helix Native, I'm not certain. I think currently, Helix Native doesn't understand midi, so it may not be able to be used in this way. You might want to, at least for now, use your physical Helix for reamping in this case.

• Upvote 1

As far as using this recorded midi data as an input for Helix Native, I'm not certain. I think currently, Helix Native doesn't understand midi, so it may not be able to be used in this way. You might want to, at least for now, use your physical Helix for reamping in this case.

Native doesn't have direct MIDI control yet, but you can still automate parameters using its automation lanes. These will show up in the DAW, and you can, in turn, set those to be controlled by the MIDI CC from the Helix's expression pedal.