Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

TonePort UX8 ToneDirect buffer vs ASIO Client buffer

I'm trying to understand the difference between the ASIO Settings section and the ToneDirect & USB Audio Streaming section a bit better.  I've found that the ASIO settings don't seem to impact my latency for direct monitoring with PodFarm or say using Reaper to listen to Superior Drummer being played by an electronic drum kit through MIDI.  So it seems the ToneDirect & USB Audio Streaming is solely responsible for that.

What is the ASIO settings for then?  Just playback?

Does anyone have information about what the buffer sizes (or corresponding latency numbers) for each of the ToneDirect & USB Audio Streaming categories such as "Extra Small" or "Medium" are?

My TonePorts inputs have recently gone bad.  I'm contemplating having a repair shop work on it, but I'm torn between paying for repairs on and older device or moving to a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 or similar due to their proclaimed low latency.  Any thoughts would be helpful.

ASIO = Audio Stream Input Output.

ASIO drivers operate at the hardware level to provide low latency. The larger the buffer size the more potential you have for higher latency. The smaller the buffer size the more potential you have to lose data in the bitstream which can cause dropouts, snaps, crackles, and pops. But the amount differs from system to system. Not sure offhand what sizes the names correspond to but I thought it was displayed somewhere in the settings.

• Upvote 1

Hi Triryche,

Thanks.  I'm aware of these these.  I'm just curious how the two options in the control panel actually differ.  The ToneDirect slider appears to be connected to the latency for realtime listening.  So I guess the ASIO settings section is for buffering during regular recording an playback only.  Which means you could set it to like 4096, but use the ToneDirect slider to have low realtime latency.

I did some testing with CEntrance's ASIO Latency Test Utility using the Line 6 Audio-MIDI Devices panel slider.  I found that when the slider is maximized ("Extra Large" position 6) the tool shows 512 as the minimum available buffer size.  When slider is at positions 3, 4, and 5, the tool shows a minimum value of 256.  As positions 1 and 2, it goes down to 128.  Based on that, I'm guessing that maybe the slider does something like this?

1. 128 (Extra Small)
  2. 192
  3. 256
  4. 384
  5. 448
  6. 512 (Extra Large)

I'd be very curious for Line 6 to pipe up and provide specifics on this.