Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Setting Helix global XLR output volume?

RandomGecko

Hi guys,

Is there a way of setting the global output volume for the XLR outs? I have my Volume knob on the Helix itself controlling just the 1/4"outputs for using with my amps, but I want the XLRs to be set to a certain level so I'm always sending FOH a consistent level.

Is there a way of setting the global output dB level or is it on a per patch basis? I gigged with mine this weekend with the Volume pretty much in line with the V on the actual Volume text, so if anybody knows a rough dB level that that equates to, that would be killer.

Thanks

Option 1: In global settings, set your volume know to control 1/4 out. This will enable you to change your monitor volume without affecting the XLR output volume. The XLR's are now fixed and volume must be controlled @ FOH (as long as you dont change the overall output level on the output block) 

Option 2: Different output levels can also be achieved by creating multiple output lines / parallel lines. 1 for 1/4 set the output block to whatever you like and 2nd output to XLR again the output block set to whatever volume you desire.

Quite honestly it doesn't matter as long as all of your presets and snaps have the same relative volume levels with the master volume set to a consistent setting.  As long as the volume is set consistently within the patch, your signal from the XLR will be consistent and the overall volume level in the mix will be determined at the sound board when they gain stage it against all other channels, and that's exactly how you want it.  What's important to the sound man is that he can count on a consistent signal level so that when he sets the preamp gain he can be assured you won't be deviating much from it.  I use pretty much the same setup as you do and when my channel is gain staged at the board it pretty much falls in line with the other signals coming into the board via microphones and other DI's

Quite honestly it doesn't matter as long as all of your presets and snaps have the same relative volume levels with the master volume set to a consistent setting.  As long as the volume is set consistently within the patch, your signal from the XLR will be consistent and the overall volume level in the mix will be determined at the sound board when they gain stage it against all other channels, and that's exactly how you want it.  What's important to the sound man is that he can count on a consistent signal level so that when he sets the preamp gain he can be assured you won't be deviating much from it.  I use pretty much the same setup as you do and when my channel is gain staged at the board it pretty much falls in line with the other signals coming into the board via microphones and other DI's

^This

Plus, if you have your volume knob set to control 1/4" out only, then the XLR outs default to full signal. That IS a consistent signal for your sound guy. You can choose to send a mic level or line level signal, but it will still be consistent. Once the sound guy sets your gain and level on that channel on the board, you should be good to go. Unless, you have your levels between presets way off from each other, then your sound guy will be chasing you from preset to preset. You may owe him lunch for that. 

Ahh, this is what I was after. I had my XLR outputs set to Line and it was absolutely raging at the input of my interface. I'll try out Mic tomorrow.

Basically all of the above is exactly what I was after. I do quite a lot of gigs where IEM mixes are saved as show files so I needed consistency. Plus night after night on a tour, I didn't want to have to be nudging that sensitive volume knob around!

Mic is significantly lower in output than Line, right?

Thanks a ton guys!

Mic is significantly lower in output than Line, right?

Yes, mic is lower. I have mine set to mic just because sometimes I have someone that sits in for me that mics a cabinet. So, we share the same XLR input at the venue: me with Helix direct out XLR set to mic level, and him with an actual mic on his cab.