Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

2.50 HAS BEEN RELEASED!

jbuhajla

Ok....So, I've been tinkering with the Reverbs for the last two hours and let me start by saying that I really like them a lot.  However, I've noticed that if you increase the mix you almost completely lose your clarity of notes and your sound gets reduced.  I tried to emulate what someone that was beta testing them did - which was a very wet sound and I couldn't make it more wet without highly diminished quality.  Has anybody else used them yet and found this to be true.  I admit there are quite a few things to tweak and I certainly haven't exhausted everything but just increasing the wetness shouldn't diminish the sound and clarity IMO.  Anybody?

I think you are probably misunderstanding how the mix parameter on the Helix reverbs (and, well, every effect that has mix parameter in the Helix) works. It's really a balance knob that controls the relative level of the dry and wet signals. At 50, you have 100% dry and 100% wet. At 0, you have 100% dry and 0% wet. At 100, you have 0% dry and 100% wet. So once you move the mix knob past 50, the dry sound is going start decreasing in level. If you want to have a sound that's more wet than dry, you can compensate for the decreased dry signal by increasing the overall level of the block with the Level parameter. Or the other thing you can do is put the reverb block in a parallel path and try mixing the wet and dry that way.

The BigSky mix knob works more like a traditional mix knob where the mix doesn't start get more wet than dry until the very end of the sweep. It also has an analog dry path, so the dry path is never really decreased in volume.

True, but I was hoping this could replace my Strymon Big Sky where you can play single note stuff VERY VERY wet and still hear the clarity of the notes you're picking.  Don't get me wrong....I really like these reverbs but I was expecting/hoping for something much different.  

It's possible that works as a parallel path as suggested above. This allows you to keep 100% dry while just increasing the amount of wet signal. In that case, you would split the signal before the reverb. One path would stay empty, the other would have the reverb on it set to 100% mix. You combine again at the end and use the reverb path's volume control to adjust the mix instead. That should get you closer to what you are looking for.

Have to take a moment to say how incredible it is to get this hefty pile of legacy effects added in the latest update! Like someone just backed up a truck and dumped a huge pile of "vintage" guitar effects in the middle of my rehearsal area. Huge thanks to Line6 there is some really fun stuff in here!  :)

Does anyone else wish, even though the new reverbs are great, that we had some HX versions of simple reverbs? I want a good sounding spring reverb but when I used to use the included (now legacy) springs in Helix and A/B with the reverb on my Fender Blues Junior, they just sound awful. 

I've put up an idea scale request for HX versions of simple effects you'd expect to be in a unit like this, specifically the spring reverb. If you want to vote for it, the link is below :)

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Update-legacy-effects-such-as-the-Spring-Reverb/922442-23508#idea-tab-comments