Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Help; Windows Won't Let Me Open 2:50 Firmware

erniedenov

Did you download the macOS version by mistake?  You can also just open the Line 6 Updater application and let it pull down the firmware for you.

^^^^^ This! Don't try to open the firmware file directly and of course you want to have the proper one for your OS. But really, don't even bother downloading the Updater and firmware separately. Make backups with your current editor and download the correct version of HX Edit 2.51 for your OS and device. Unpack/install HX Edit 2.51 and it will automatically install the latest editor, Updater, and driver(if on Windows) on your computer. Then run the Line6 Updater and it will guide you through pulling down the correct firmware file and automatically install it for you and run through the upgrade process. One of the only reasons to ever download the firmware file separately is if you have a spotty internet connection that cannot be depended on to be persistent through the download portion of the Line6 Updater process. The Updater does provide an optional manual process for installing the firmware from your local hard drive but you never want to use that option unless you are forced to. The only other reasons to download a firmware(Flash) file are if you would like to keep the firmware file for posterity or a rollback if required(highly unlikely).

Every time I try to install HX Edit 2.51, I get a message: "error opening file for writing, click abort to stop installation." I even deleted the Line 6 installer and the 2.50 firmware (which I had installed before the editor) and I'm still getting that same message. And yes, I selected the correct version of Windows.

???

Well, I got the HX Edit 2.51 installed, but I still can't open my download of 2.50 firmware. Frustrated and giving up for today, I've already been at this for hours and I have to get ready and leave for a two show tour in CA tomorrow morning. Ugh!

Great, you are halfway home. Now that you have HX Edit 2.51 installed Open up the "Line6 Updater". Do not attempt to click directly on the firmware file. Forget that firmware file, you are not going to use it unless you have a terrible internet connection. The Updater will walk you through the rest of the upgrade process and grab the correct firmware file for you. Just point and click. Btw, make sure you don't have the Line6 Updater and the Editor up on your computer at the same time. Hopefully it will be seamless as long as you are not experiencing a poor internet connection. Good luck!

Great, you are halfway home. Now that you have HX Edit 2.51 installed Open up the "Line6 Updater". Do not attempt to click directly on the firmware file. Forget that firmware file, you are not going to use it unless you have a terrible internet connection. The Updater will walk you through the rest of the upgrade process and grab the correct firmware file for you. Just point and click. Btw, make sure you don't have the Line6 Updater and the Editor up on your computer at the same time. Hopefully it will be seamless as long as you are not experiencing a poor internet connection. Good luck!

THANK YOU! Update success! Whew!