Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Using DSP on MIC Input

vsukpadman

I need a mic channel (with effects) in each of my live guitar patches...

Just checking that to do that I must only use 1 line of the 2 DSP's for the guitar to free up the other for  the mic? 

so in other words post-481212-0-98668200-1519149790_thumb.png

thats NOT ok to use , as there would be no DSP channel for the MIC?

thanks 

Bill P

I need a mic channel (with effects) in each of my live guitar patches...

Just checking that to do that I must only use 1 line of the 2 DSP's for the guitar to free up the other for  the mic? 

so in other words attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2018-02-20 at 19.00.57.png

thats NOT ok to use , as there would be no DSP channel for the MIC?

thanks 

Bill P

You can dedicate both DSP chips to the guitar and still have a separate path for the microphone using up to whatever DSP is not dedicated to the guitar. The easiest way to do this is to start with a "Super Serial x2" template. You can find this at 01D in the Templates setlist. Than just put your choice of effects for mic processing on the bottom line(path 2B) and then drag the Split down from the Split/Merge "block". This will create a separate path and a new Input block that you can set for the microphone.

If you want to see a template already set up as described above I put one up in CustomTone for just this sort of use. Just adjust the Input and Output blocks to your preferred settings. https://line6.com/customtone/search/?submitted=1&family=helix&search_term=HonestOpinion

HonestOpinion.. I see ...so  using that method,  if I'm using a guitar preset which uses 2 DSP chips (paths) , it can still handle a mic plus some DSP , simply as long as DSP is still available by using 2B 

GREAT info..will take a look at that ! 

Silverhead..thats what I've been doing , but some of the great patches I have already use 2 guitar paths ..looks like the method above will work then for the patch I sent an image of for example....

cheers

Bill p

HonestOpinion.. I see ...so  using that method,  if I'm using a preset which uses 2 DSP chips (paths) , it can still handle a mic plus some DSP , simply as long as DSP is still available by using 2B 

GREAT info..will take a look at that ! 

Silverhead..thats what I've been doing , but some of the great patches I have already use 2 guitar paths ..looks like the method above will work then for the patch I sent an image of for example....

cheers

Bill p

Exactly, both DSP chips can be "linked' so that you can use up to the maximum available DSP of both processors with this setup for your guitar. This is due to the fact that the routes are set up in a super serial configuration. You will still may have to spread your blocks across the two routes(1 & 2) because although the two DSP chips are "linked" they are not summed. This method allows you to leverage both DSPs for the guitar which will probably require the lion's share of your DSP.  As stated previously you will want to leave a bit of DSP for your mic processing (usually much less required for this). Btw, you may already have seen it but I edited my post above to include a link to a Template I uploaded a couple of years ago for just this purpose.

You may have already intuited this but just wanted to mention that if you want to use two guitars and a mic you can modify the template mentioned above by separating Route1 from Route2 instead of sending Route1's output to Route2. Then put Guitar1 on Route1, Guitar2 on Route2A, and the mic on Route2B.

Or... if you want to be able to use more DSP but the same blocks for both guitars you could use a splitter before the Helix or even a different input jack on the Helix such as a Return or 'Aux In'. Snapshots allow you to modify the preset to suit each guitar optimally. The problem with using a Helix jack for the second guitar rather than a splitter is that the Helix jack probably won't be the right impedance unless your second guitar is an acoustic coming in via a Return or the 'Aux In' jack

Cheers

I'm looking only at one guitar , one mic, but most of the great patches I'm looking at use both paths for guitar to which I want to add a mic and keep the guitar stuff intact  
(oh to be able to copy whole paths from 1 patch to another using the HX Edit, but thats another story  )  

Bill P

PIC OF PATCH 

post-481212-0-32396100-1519155086_thumb.png

Think I found the vital step in HX edit for the patch shown above   - add a block in path 2A   pull it down , then create output and create input on the actual splits, 

then I get a clean Path 2B for my Mic ...could be a eureka moment LOL 

but as you say, gonna have to be careful with available DSP ....

thanks again 

Bill p

Think I found the vital step in HX edit for the patch shown above   - add a block in path 2A   pull it down , then create output and create input on the actual splits, 

then I get a clean Path 2B for my Mic ...could be a eureka moment LOL 

but as you say, gonna have to be careful with available DSP ....

thanks again 

Bill p

Excellent and summed up well, sounds like you got it, pull down the split and you get an additional Input block, pull down the merge and you get an additional Output block.  :)