Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Amp makes noise when connected to helix

dhawalmehta91

my amp makes this constant cracking/buzzing noise when I connect my amps line IN to helix LT's left mono 1/4'' line OUT. I don't have to switch on the helix, simply plugging into the power socket creates this noise. It doesn't happen when I use my podhd 500. Also, I realized this doesn't happen when I connect helix and the amp in the same surge protector box. I might not have the option to use the same power strip for amp and helix. please help

Dhawal

I owned an new HELIX an have the same problem: When Helix is connected to power (240V) and the power-switch is off, then Helix produces a cracking/buzzing/fizzing noise. At this time, there is a lot of voltage on the XLR or the 1/4 Output-Jacks. You can feel it when you touch the cable-connector and with the other hand a ground.

This happen when HELIX is connected to studio-active-monitors or a power-amp of a PA or a external guitar-amp. All outputs are affected.

When you turn the powerswitch on the helix ON, the noise is gone. It's scary.

Does someone has an explanation? Any ideas?

I'm sure it's just related to unequal grounding when the Helix is off creating a ground loop through the 1/4" connection.  You wouldn't hear this on a HD500X unit because it doesn't have it's own power supply as Helix does.  I always carry a two outlet surge protected strip with USB ports in my gig bag which I use to power my Helix, my FRFR speaker, and my G10 receiver.  That way I plug everything into the one strip and power everything on on at once after I've made all the connections

and there's no ground loop.