Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Firmware suggestion: IdeaScale: A block that when clicked, scribble-strips change & (similar to LOOPER block) stomps send out MIDI commands til EXIT

d0stenning

PROBLEM: MIDI assignments can not be stored globally. If we want to set up MIDI assignments for several stomp pedals in order to control some device such as iOS loopers or MIDI controlled effects - this has to be done PER PATCH. So this involves a lot of work if one uses several different presets for different sounds. Also one might want to send MIDI CC messages to say an iOS Looper but experiment with different patches. Or a new one. Currently this cannot be done. MIDI assignments have to be done PER PATCH. 

SOLUTION: Have a special block - linked to a foot-switch which - when turned on - makes some or all of the foot-switches temporarily become MIDI controllers. This would operate much in the similar fashion to how we currently enter or exit the LOOPER mode in the Helix.

In this mode each switch would have dedicated scribble-strip names i could customise. If needed - some switches could still be assigned - say to an effect or a snapshot in order that one can make simple sonic changes without leaving the "MIDI mode".

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/MIDI-CONTROLLER-Block-where-all-footswitches-become-MIDI-pedal/802355-23508#idea-tab-comments

Cool idea. I'm currently using three foot switches to change channels on my amp. There are more things I could control on the amp and this would keep the amp controls from taking over all the foot switches.

Jeff

• Like 1

I would use this feature too.  Here's a hack that I use to achieve the same results.  Depending on how you use your unit this may not work.

My rig:  Helix with a Mesa Mark V and an RJM midi controlled effects looper for analog effects in loops 1 & 2.  A TC electronic Ditto X4 in stereo loops 3 & 4.  

I normally use "Snapshot/Stomp" mode with 8 switches.  I used the top row of stomp switches for commonly used effects on a given patch and normally I have 4 snapshots on the lower row.  To make MIDI setup easier, I have a template saved with MIDI toggles set up on the first 4 for my commonly used effects pedals.  I also have midi CC's for my looper set up in the bottom row of stomps and bank up/down switches.  

This way when I set up a new patch I have my 4 pedals already set up, if I want to use something else the helix interface makes that pretty easy to do.  If I want my looper while I'm playing, (normally hidden by the bottom row of snapshots and bank up/down), I just hit the mode switch to switch into stomp mode and that brings up my bottom row of stomps which has all of my looper controls ready to go.

Hope that helps you...

On 4/10/2018 at 6:28 PM, awatson80 said:

I would use this feature too.  Here's a hack that I use to achieve the same results.  Depending on how you use your unit this may not work.

I normally use "Snapshot/Stomp" mode with 8 switches.  I used the top row of stomp switches for commonly used effects on a given patch and normally I have 4 snapshots on the lower row.  To make MIDI setup easier, I have a template saved with MIDI toggles set up on the first 4 for my commonly used effects pedals.  I also have midi CC's for my looper set up in the bottom row of stomps and bank up/down switches.  

This way when I set up a new patch I have my 4 pedals already set up, if I want to use something else the helix interface makes that pretty easy to do.  If I want my looper while I'm playing, (normally hidden by the bottom row of snapshots and bank up/down), I just hit the mode switch to switch into stomp mode and that brings up my bottom row of stomps which has all of my looper controls ready to go.

Yes thats one approach that can work for some -  except I tend to use lots of 3rd party presets that have been tweaked by me rather than building from scratch so this method doesnt work well for me.  There are also issues with copying and pasting presets with MIDI info in them into existing presets. - namely the stomp scribble strip names don't get pasted .