Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Lead Guitar like Robert Fripp

muelrich

You will need a guitar with good sustain. Les Paul or anything else with set neck (or neck through even better), mahogany body, humbuckers etc. Fripp used a Tokai LP copy in those days as far as I know. Use the neck humbucker with tone way down.

On the HELIX side I use a simple setup like this: Input > Triangle Fuzz [Sustain: 8.3, Tone 0.7, Level 8.1] > Jazz Rivet [Drive 2.8, Bass 5.6, Mid 2.7, Treble 4.7, Pres 5.0, Ch Vol 8.5, Master 10, Bright off]. That’s the naked tone. Then add different LONG delays like Transistor Tape, Reverse etc. to taste (Fripp used two Revox tape machines for delay and looping).

Thats half the battle already.

Of course endless sustain using an E-Bow is helpful, but not essential if your guitar itself provides enough for semi-long solo lines.

For my fripp-alike sounds I use a Fernandes Ravelle Elite with a Sustainer in the neck-humbucker, works like an E-Bow but you have the right hand free.

Cheers

Opti

Triangle Muff is key.  Then run into the volume pedal which is as important considering swells factors so hugely into fripps playing.  After that I add a slash of tape echo ambiance (as he had a walkin's copycat for some ambiance in KC but I have been using either cosmos echo or the Binson in the legacy effects).  After that I run the vintage delay on 8 seconds, a reverse delay on 4 seconds and a second vintage delay on 8 seconds.  I use the Hiwatt instead of the Jazz Chorus because I like that period of Fripps tone better.  

Happy to have heard several King Crimson concerts in their early days (Crimson King through Larks Tongue tours). Bent my mind in several directions. I still go to see Fripp or Crimson when they are on tour and in my area. You should never pass up the chance....

23 hours ago, fiveways said:

Triangle Muff is key.  Then run into the volume pedal which is as important considering swells factors so hugely into fripps playing.  After that I add a slash of tape echo ambiance (as he had a walkin's copycat for some ambiance in KC but I have been using either cosmos echo or the Binson in the legacy effects).  After that I run the vintage delay on 8 seconds, a reverse delay on 4 seconds and a second vintage delay on 8 seconds.  I use the Hiwatt instead of the Jazz Chorus because I like that period of Fripps tone better.  

Yeah I forgot the volume pedal. It’s essential. Interesting approach by fiveways using it after the Triangle. Will try that out!