Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Variax Acoustic Jumping In and Out of Alternate

Lately at gigs my trusty Variax Acoustic sometimes randomly toggles out my stored Alternate setting (red LED, alternative tuning saved) into Standard (green LED). I can usually toggle the selector in and out real quick to reset it, and it usually gets me through the song. But it happens at least once at about every gig.

Is there a fix I could attempt myself? (I'm good with this sort of work, and have replaced some piezo in the past when needed). What should I look at or try first?

Thanks.....

• 1 month later...

Support said my best bet was to request an RMA to send the guitar to Line 6 to be serviced. Couldn't afford the time from gigs, so finally had some time last week to open 'er up. The problem turned out to be a dirty switch within the encoder. Its odd to me that the encoder is enclosed but the switch is not, so it's open to dirt and debris. A good cleaning did the trick. For a preventative, I made an enclosure for the switch, and a thin gasket for the plastic controls plate.

Now....does anyone know where to find a replacement felt washer? You know ... the thick black one that sits between the encoder locking nut and the selector knob? Mine is pretty squished and sad. I could hack one together, but would prefer the real deal.