Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX not channel switching a Fender Supersonic 60

rdomain

It seems to be a massively common problem of the channel switching not working with many amps.  I have a Fender Supersonic 60 head which runs a standard TS cable with it's stock 3 button pedal but I'm having no luck getting the HX to change anything at all.  The original pedal does 1. change from clean to dirty channel 2. change the clean circuits from Bassman to Vibrolux 3. turns the fx loop on and off.

Seeing it's not looking possible to do this via the HX as I've spent hours and hours trying to get this work, is there any work around?  This is very disappointing as this is why I bought the HX really.  I've contacted support but I thought I'd ask here also.

Thanks.

The Supersonic doesn’t use standard relay switching. It’s a TS cable that’s carrying multiple functions, so it looks like the footswitch it’s varying the voltage going back to amp, and the ampmis responding to that. That’s not the type of channel switching the HX provides. FWIW, this was an issue with the TC Electronic G-System and the Supersonic as well.

http://forum.tcelectronic.com/topic/4209/channel-switching-with-fender-supersonic/

2 hours ago, rdomain said:

It seems to be a massively common problem of the channel switching not working with many amps.  I have a Fender Supersonic 60 head which runs a standard TS cable with it's stock 3 button pedal but I'm having no luck getting the HX to change anything at all.  The original pedal does 1. change from clean to dirty channel 2. change the clean circuits from Bassman to Vibrolux 3. turns the fx loop on and off.

Seeing it's not looking possible to do this via the HX as I've spent hours and hours trying to get this work, is there any work around?  This is very disappointing as this is why I bought the HX really.  I've contacted support but I thought I'd ask here also.

Thanks.

Hi rdomain,

The comment above from "phil_m" is correct. It's not a problem with the Line 6 HX, but your Fender amp, (and some other brands also).

I recently spotted this comment in another forum regarding Fender amp switching:

As for nearly all newer Fender amps, the footswitch is a TS connected, switching voltage-levels on the same wire, which is interpreted by a logic circuit. Channel select and reverb transmit four different voltages.”

Maybe you will have to use the stock 3 button unit  that ships with the Supersonic 60 for switching and the HX just forFX.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks for the feedback.  I did read those in my research also.  There must be some work around surely.  2 ideas I have....

Would something like this work?   http://www.nuxefx.com/show-9-243-1.html

and as another possibility I noticed I can change the settings on my amp via an expression pedal when I sweep through the values.  Is there any way to simulate some exact setting with an internal value with the HX to send to the amp?

Fortunately I am really liking the HX so I think I'll keep it regardless.  Really hoping for some work around though as I need some quick changes in one project I do.  The others aren't as vital.  Might run my Axe FX system for that.

29 minutes ago, rdomain said:

Thanks for the feedback.  I did read those in my research also.  There must be some work around surely.  2 ideas I have....

Would something like this work?   http://www.nuxefx.com/show-9-243-1.html

and as another possibility I noticed I can change the settings on my amp via an expression pedal when I sweep through the values.  Is there any way to simulate some exact setting with an internal value with the HX to send to the amp?

Fortunately I am really liking the HX so I think I'll keep it regardless.  Really hoping for some work around though as I need some quick changes in one project I do.  The others aren't as vital.  Might run my Axe FX system for that.

Hi again,

I've just had a look at the Fender Supersonic Owners Manual. The supplied 3 button footswitch controls Voicing/Channel/FX on-off and as noted previously, this is done by changing the voltage levels into a logic board. I don't know of any quick or inexpensive way round that and not from HXFX. What I find really interesting, is that you say you can change your amp settings by sweeping through with your expression pedal - yeah, well the exp is just a variable resistor which is changing throughout it range of travel, so that will be changing the voltage presented to the amp. Downside to that - not very precise and may cause damage AFAIK. I'm not even sure that the PMS-2 would be any good as that also needs to be able to change the voltage.

I think the best option is what you say in your final comment. Keep the HXFX, work the amp with the supplied switching and cable and use your Ax for the quick changes.

Hope this makes sense.

Totally makes sense.   I'll go with that for now as it looks like any system claiming amp channel switching will have similar issues.  I might have to pick the brains of a couple of my friends who are wizards at electronic audio design.  See if they have any suggestions for me.

Cheers for the reply.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, rdomain said:

Totally makes sense.   I'll go with that for now as it looks like any system claiming amp channel switching will have similar issues.  I might have to pick the brains of a couple of my friends who are wizards at electronic audio design.  See if they have any suggestions for me.

Cheers for the reply.

No problem, and if you and the wizards find a way to do this then there could be fame and fortune in it!
Happy trails!