Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

SV240 Exceeded Expecations

Adam_T

Got a Spider V 240 combo a week ago - to be honest , the fact that it has Relay receiver built in has made me want this amp for a while but the reviews which ranged from bad to awful put me off (as did the previous spider line) .. I use Valve amps (old Marshall JCMs etc) and have used some serious kit over the years - I like Modelling amps for small gigs and home, I`ve always preferred  VOX to to Mustangs, Spiders, Vypyrs and the like and the latest VT100X version was by far the best with models that actually didn`t sound "all the same but with diff EQ and drive" .. I`m open minded and tried the SV 240 in the shop just dialling up patches and it was Dreadful ....

I guess being loaded with  Patches that sound like 5" hifi speakers with the tweeters disconnected didn`t help .. the much slammed and pretty awful  "Chop Suey" patch is wonderful compared to the supposed Bogner Uberschall one which sounded like a chinese no name £25 practice amp with the treble full down ...... so I started from scratch turning all the FX off, choosing an amp I knew well (marshall through a V30 Cab) and some PEQ  to suit the amp being on the floor and a closed back 2X12 and was dumbstruck at how good the thing sounded , added a touch of hall reverb and away ............. did the same with a Fender black face model through the amps own cab model , chose a suitable mic and a touch of reverb -- superb , comparable with the real thing  ! . made a Dual Rec (again through the V30 4X12 cab - the "Treadplate" cab sounds like there`s a blanket over it)  and Yup - superb  ........ all this was within 30 mins of seeing the amp and from the front panel .. I bought it along with the FULL G10 kit , this is worth the extra so you can use the TX with other amps and use the SpiderV while you`re charging the TX - Found out later that the only way to update the G10 TX is through the receiver base , it won`t update from the amp (Doh !!)  .. 

So a week later and I`m still knocked out with the amp even as a gig tool but at a total loss as to why they even bothered to put any presets in it whatsoever, they really are as dreadful as the reviews claim, that bad in fact that I got the impression they were made by someone trying to sabotage sales of the amps !! , I bet they have too ........ 

I`m finding that like Kemper, AXE-FX , Helix etc, this thing relies on PEQ to get the most from it - not a bad thing when you`ve worked out how to use it properly , a 20 band graphic would have been more intuitive of course but would `t be much fun to use from the panel ...... absolutely love the Variax model which almost turns a single coil strat or Tele etc into a dreadnaught acoustic when the neck or neck and middle/Bridge are used - PEQ again to model the body of the guitar .. 

Wishes are a more traditional pitch shifter (one you can add to the Acoustic modelling to make a 12 string for instance)  -- more controls on the Synth option like the old Boss GT5 had - a "compare" button so you can hear the difference you`ve made to your patch ------- oh and an option to simply Format the Amp of all those dreadful presets ;) 

I totally agree with you that the Spider V series are great sounding amp WHEN you create your own presets. I had a Spider IV before and even though it didn't sound particularly good, I could create presets that sounded reasonably close to the target amp.

The Spider V series hasn't gotten very good reviews from the chattering class, partly because of snobbery, past Spider history, and the fact that it has so many options to tweak vs the more simple Katana amps. With gobs of amp models, tons of effects, and loads of tone shaping options, with a bit of time great tones are inside this amp. After all, the amp models are updated versions of Amp Farm, which was a staple in many pro recording studios.

My live rig consists of a Helix controlling DT amps, and I get a phenomenal range of great tones, but sometimes it's a pain to set up for smaller gigs. It's just too convenient with the G10. I used the 240 at a small club gig, and my guitar playing friends who attended said the guitar tones were great and they're a bunch of cork sniffers. 

I didn't have a similar experience with the presets; I never judge a modeler with presets including my Helix. There are too many variables with different guitars, playing style, etc. 

I'm with you on the pitch shifter, and a compare button would be nice.

Well, if someone who owns a Helix hasn`t dumped the thing after a day it says a lot ............

I always thought that they ought to have given the V a different name (Firehawk Jr or even a name that sounds a bit like Helix) , there`s way too much (mostly deserved) past stigma attached to the Spider name . When I demo'd the amp to a mate who`d not seen the V , I covered the maker and name up with black tape , told him it was an amp made by Yamaha (which it is) and demo'd it from my own patches .. his reaction was "Wow , modelling amps have come along some haven`t they, that kills my VT120+ stone dead" .......... I uncovered the names and the response was "No way" ...... people hear with their eyes and even if Line-6 had put presets in which do more than sell other makers amps , the Spider name would put them off ... 

as you say presets are variable in all modellers, even the VT100X which doesn`t really have presets but starting points - but the Spider V seems to have won the highest number of duds award by miles . 

I tried the Katanas a while back and found them, while good, are too limiting and quite frankly well overrated sonically  I think a couple pedals and a scruffy Peavey bandit would replace and dare say BETTER the 100 Watt one easily at a fraction of the price, they`re that kind of amp . YMMV of course . 

• Like 1

Amp has been real good to me for over almost 2 years of solid gigging.

Presets from factory are just rough starting points to show off the amp and fx. Best to start from scratch and of course use the PEQ to boost and shape.
I think the amp models were weakened to an extent maybe to limit clipping. Tons of headroom in a Spider V240 to apply PEQ and bring that amp levels up enough to really sing.

Milan Fest 2018_Moment.jpg

I have to say that along with other people on here the amp is far better than people give it credit for. I have the 240 model and it sounds great with some tweaking. At first I used the "Pull me Under" setting for Dream Theater stuff, playing "dark eternal night" on it sounds pretty spot on for a factory preset. Also I used the "afterlife" preset for a more high gain sound with more bite and it worked pretty good.

But after messing with the options and changing/adding things here and there I can say that you can really get some good sounds out of this thing. the clean settings already sound good but I think they are easier to dial in than a good metal sound for sure. Now granted this isn't going to replace a AxeFX 3 or a Kemper but its not supposed to, it costs a 1/4 of the price.

I purchased the whole package (foot pedal and wireless) and it's absolutely great for practicing for maybe small gigs.

Guitars im using with this:

Jackson Dinky 6 string with Seymour Duncan Dimebucker and Sreamin Demon

Jackson SL3MG 6 string with EMG 81 - 85

Washburn WG-587 7 string with Seymour Duncan Nazgul - Sentient

It`s a shame they didn`t use the HD engine or even a kind of cut down Helix and I can`t think of any conceivable reason why but it`s way better than any PodX3 I`ve heard (I cant say I was knocked out with the Pod HD500X either) , so they must have updated the whole modelling engine somewhere ..... 

The Forum Hyperbole about how bad these amps are rattles on endlessly, but even after a few weeks of use I couldn`t disagree with them more ,.. the 240 2X12  at least is a very servicable Gig and home tool with some features I sorely miss when using my  Valve amps  not least the plug and go Wireless (don`t need the receiver and usb power hassle) ..... they DO seriously need to put some decent presets in there, most are dull , small and blankety sounding . 

Oh ----  I`m using an SG 61 Reissue , an 09 Fender USA Deluxe strat with the lame electrics replaced with Duncan HSH setup with splits and a Korean made Epi les paul loaded with BKP, Mule ,  Duncan SH1 and 80s Dimarzio in a HHH setup .. all work just fine 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/13/2018 at 2:39 PM, Adam_T said:

It`s a shame they didn`t use the HD engine or even a kind of cut down Helix and I can`t think of any conceivable reason why but it`s way better than any PodX3 I`ve heard (I cant say I was knocked out with the Pod HD500X either) , so they must have updated the whole modelling engine somewhere ..... 

The Forum Hyperbole about how bad these amps are rattles on endlessly, but even after a few weeks of use I couldn`t disagree with them more ,.. the 240 2X12  at least is a very servicable Gig and home tool with some features I sorely miss when using my  Valve amps  not least the plug and go Wireless (don`t need the receiver and usb power hassle) ..... they DO seriously need to put some decent presets in there, most are dull , small and blankety sounding . 

Oh ----  I`m using an SG 61 Reissue , an 09 Fender USA Deluxe strat with the lame electrics replaced with Duncan HSH setup with splits and a Korean made Epi les paul loaded with BKP, Mule ,  Duncan SH1 and 80s Dimarzio in a HHH setup .. all work just fine 

Totally agree!!  I have had mine at many many shows. It's crazy how many good sound techs come over and say "yeah I had a few of those and I played heck getting them to work"
Then they get things going and come up and say WOW Did you change speakers in this or something? I say no, I just work the presets to sound more like what it should.

I found similar ho humness in Helix as well. Even with a bunch of Custom Tone presets. I notice all the modeler presets in the Spider etc seem to be designed more around low volume operation. This amp needs to be load, and with that I crank the various levels in post amp PEQ. Great video on Line 6 Spider Peq setup on youtube. I learned a ton from that. Went from giving up on this amp almost 2 years ago, to it being a staple in my stage gear.

Yeah, it`s become a very useful gig tool for me, without all the Flub`n`fart that stuff like the Mustang-IV and Vox VT120+  suffer  ---

Re the patches and programming I`m also finding that some of the amp models choose the least optimal cab ---------- I`m sure this thing was programmed by an Employee who was working off redundancy or something - there`s a superb amp in there which is being Slaughtered by horrendous presets and bad cab choices .......... 

Makes an excellent FRFR powered stereo cab too .. 

• Like 1