Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Acoustic sound, Variax Standard Vs Yamaha Silent SLG200S

paolostar

I bought my Variax mainly for the acoustic models but after six months and a lot of trials (PA sytem, TC Helicon Play Acoustic, Positive Grid FX, Helix...) I'm going to give up.

I am wondering if the Yamaha Silent SLG200S could provide a sound  improovement, did somebody used both of them for some time.

What do you think about this comparison.

What do you find bad in the variax's acoustic models ?

I'm about to let my variax too but it's not for the acoustics models, it would be the opposite....

I find them really good and convincing.

At the begining, i was troubled because there's no noise coming from the instrument itself like a real acoustic guitar.

If this is your problem, i think the silent guitar won't be the solution.

Your Rig seems to be correct to obtain a good result.

You've got a PA system and a helix.

I've got simply a variax, a Helix and a Yamaha DBR10 speaker.

I won't have time till next week to see the patch's name that i prefer but i found it in the helixs' custom tone after reading a post in the Helix forum. I'll give you it next week.

To have a good sound, be sure there's no amp simulation and you have a FRFR (it seems the case), the high cut has to be upper than an electric guitar (14-16KHz).

Start with a 6 strings (not a 12 strings) and don't use the alternative tunings (it can disturb and personnaly i'm not convinced by them).

Start with the tone knob in the middle position and play with it to find the good position (i like it between 4-6 following the guitar)

Have you tweak something in worbench to change the sound ?

Do you play loud or not ?

Have you tried an electro-acoustic guitar in your rig instead of the variax ?

Thanks Steve, very kind of you but after many many trials I have definetively given up. I sold The Variax and I bought an SLG200S.

It`s much more easy to manage, a ready to go guitar.

Nothing against the Variax but it`s a guitar for nerds musicians, sound setup it`s difficult and takes too much time