Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

best speaker

Dazzer40

If you're never leaving the house with it, just get a pair of decent studio monitors. Volume will be more than sufficient, they'll allow for the use of stereo FX, playing along with songs or backing tracks, doing your own recording, etc... you'll thank me later. Options abound in the $300/pair and under category. Stick with names you've heard of...JBL, Sony, Yamaha, JBL (yes, I said JBL twice) etc. The only real decision is size, which is determined mostly by the available space, wherever they're gonna sit. 

I just use headphones at home, honestly. Lets me appreciate the stereo FX. For gigs, I'll go direct to the PA whenever I can; if I can't, I recently picked up the Headrush FRFR cuz it was relatively cheap and it sounds great. I use that at practice, most people probably wouldn't even notice it's not a "real amp" now that it's got some of the "feel" back.

Studio monitor ftw. Put whatever money you want/can. I've started with presonus e5 and the sound was really good enough to jam alone. Then I've upgraded to Neumann kh120 when I start to record and mix seriously and now the sound is way more precise,  but not necessarily more enjoyable.

"Best" is whatever sounds best to your ears, and fits in your budget. 

I personally am using two JBL EON 610s at home, but I am setting up tones on them to play live. A couple studio monitors may be just fine for your application.