Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Use Vocal Effects in Helix lt? my mic needs phantom power

Iaan

Hi i was wondering how use the vocals effects if the helix lt doesn't has mic in. to make things worse, my micro needs phantom power, and i'm not sure but i read in some places that you can't connect the helix lt with anything that has phantom power activated, maybe i misunderstood something or this wasn't the information complete.

i read something about use a "ART TUBE AMP" i think that this provide phantom power and connect to 1/4 return places... (idk if i need a send space too)

2 )Another option that i would prefer that works is using a mix console. i have a livetrack l12, but i don't know which inputs i would need to use. i think that with this the phantom power won't be a problem. 

because if you look the picture that i attach you could appreciate that it has 2 separates phantoms for 4 channels each one, and another channels without option for phantom. 

the Idea that i read would be connect the microphone to channel 1 of livetrack and activate the phantom. and connect the helix lt to livetrack in some way that ALL effects that i configure in helix go to all the instrument that i am using in the livetrack, but idk if that is possible or if exist any way to get vocal effects of helix in a microphone that needs phantom power. using just 1 helix 2 microphone 3 livetrack or any other mix console.

3) a third option could be use a boss rc 30, i don't have this one right now but i was thinking in buy one. this one has a mic in with phantom power and technically i can connect it to receive input?

maybe if i use a microphone connected in rc 30 will work with the effect of the helix if the rc 30 is connected to helix? which inputs and outputs i will need to use? 

pd: tomorrow i will do another post asking about use the 2 loops track + 1 loop track from helix if is the same that has 3 channels with rc300 or if the aux input of rc30 could replace the lack of this one in helix lt in compare to helix floor. but how i just can do one post per day i ask here too. 

thanks for your time and following answers 

zoomLiveTrak-icon.png

The incomapatibility of Phantom Power with the LT has to do with the outputs. It won't destroy your Helix, but if Phantom Power is on while you use the XLR outputs, it will sound terrible. I'm just assuming it also means it can't be good for it but if you accidentally do it, you'll be OK.

Remember that phantom power is only passed over an XLR connection, not a jack.  So, since your Helix LT does not have any XLR inputs (outputs only), you can't plug your mic into it directly.  I would suggest connecting your mic to, say, channel one input on your Zoom, then set up a monitor mix (see p38 of the Zoom manual) to route signal from that channel to, for example, 'monitor out A'.  Connect monitor out A to your Helix using a jack cable (remember to set the input of your Helix to 'line' level).  Process the signal as desired in the Helix, then bring the output from the Helix (jacks) to the line inputs on your Zoom (channels 9/10, for example).  Again, remember to set the output of your Helix to 'line'.  Use the main faders on your Zoom to balance the dry (channel 1) and effected (channels 9/10) signals.