Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Acoustic Guitar To Pod500 To L2t

• 2 weeks later...

I just recently bought an L2T and am still in the learning phase, so I can't say for sure, but I believe that the acoustic body modeling feature is only available to something plugged into channel 1 of the mixer, not available if plugged in via the L6 link. So it really depends on how you hookup to the L2T. I am normally using the L6 link, but some people have said they prefer to use the XLR's on the HD500 into the XLR inputs on the L2T's mixer. If you did that, the acoustic body modeling feature would be available to the side that is plugged into channel 1. If you had a patch where the acoustic chain was panned to the side going into channel 1, I believe you could use that feature.

Anyone out there know for certain?

I haven't tried that so can't say for sure, but I find a simpler setup to be very good.

I connect an acoustic guitar directly to my L3t Channel 1 input, enabling the Acoustic Body modeling of the L3t. I find I get better results doing that than by going through an HD500 acoustic patch.

I also have an electric guitar connected to an HD500 and then to the L3t either by L6 Link or by the Line inputs on the rear panel. I used to use the rear panel inputs because the L6 Link connection ignored the HD500 Master Volume. That may also be why people preferred to use the L2/3 Channel Input XLRs. But this was fixed in the most recent firmware release so I'm going to try the L6 Link again.

So I simply switch guitars when I want acoustic vs. electric and everything is set up with no need for cabling adjustments or complex HD500 acoustic preset  setup and tweaking - and the acoustic sound is better imho. You just have to be careful about feedback from the acoustic sound hole, especially while playing electric; a standard rubber sound-hole insert works great. While playing acoustic you just zero the volume on the electric.

I suppose your suggested setup could be useful if you are using a JTV guitar for both acoustic and electric guitar modeling, but in that case the JTV already has acoustic body modeling built in. Having said that, in my experience it's not as good as my Martin D-28 connected to L3t Channel 1. Or at least my JTV/HD500 preset setup isn't skillful enough to beat that sound. :P