Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

5 String Banjo Tuning Solved No Capo!

There is a solution to tuning the Banjo to the 5 string tuning.  It requires using Workbench's parallel mode which gives  the strings on any model another virtual string a la the 12 string.  This gives you a 5th string tuned up an octave which you ca then tune up an additional 10 frets giving you that high G.  Hooray!! Here it is

There is a way to do this using Variax workbench: Start with a banjo body, and tune the low a string up to a G (+10), and the high E down to a D (-2), set the volume of the low E to 0%. Turn on the parallel pitch (12 string), add the +12 to your low A string (which you tuned to an upper G) and set the cents to 0 and the mix to 100%. On all the other strings leave the +12 off and set the mix to 0%. Tada! 5 string banjo... If you want a copy of the preset I made leave an email address here and I'll email it to you!

Credit where credit is due

This idea is NOT mine and was submitted by Joshua Duguid in the Line6 ideas area.  Thank You Joshua!!!!!

It isn't perfect but now you don't need to capo anything.  I think Line 6 could model the 5th string to sound better at that high tuning.  But definitely good enough for my purposes.

• Upvote 2

Not in a position to do that but basically, there are four strings, went to and turned on the parallel tuning, all the strings are unison (no octaves) so the parallel tuning for all four upper strings is 0, then I went back to strings section and virtually tuned the first 4 strings up to a mandolin tuning.  D string up to a G, G string up to a D, B string up to an A and the E string to the E up an octave.  I set each parallel strings detune to at least 7 +/- to get the "chorusing" effect and I used the parlor body.  Turned the low A & E strings volume down to 0.  I did it very quickly so it still needs some work. I just set it up, changed the body twice and then had to quit.  I still want to try a bunch of different bodies including the electrics.  I even thought the banjo body might work.  I'll just try them all and see what happens.  I'm hoping to be able to concentrate on this tonight.  One thing about it is the tuning is so extreme, I had to turn the audio up fairly loud in order to drown out the actual strings.  I am an HD 500 owner as well and I think I'm going to need that to tweak it to acceptability.