Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp - send/return

ruperthawkes

Hi,

I need to use the stereo send and return on the HX Stomp, do I REALLY need to use two whole blocks to do this?!  HELP!!

I have a stereo delay and a stereo reverb, also a compressor so want to go...

1.   For recording :

guitar --> compressor --> hx stomp (compressor, chorus) --> external stero delay --> external stereo reverb --> hx stomp (amp/cab blocks) --> audio interface.

So questions

Q1)   Do I HAVE to use up two blocks to do that, ie one for loop out and one for loop in?   

Q2)   Or is there a way to ue just one for the stereo out and in for the external FX.   

Q3)   Also would it be "weird" if I didn't use the FX loop to put the external effects after the HX stomp amp/cab?

2.  For live :

guitar --> compressor --> hx stomp (chrous, delay) --> external delay --> external reverb --> amp

This one seems straight forward and won't need effects send loops so can rewire to accomodate when I play live.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, ruperthawkes said:

1.   For recording :

guitar --> compressor --> hx stomp (compressor, chorus) --> external stero delay --> external stereo reverb --> hx stomp (amp/cab blocks) --> audio interface.

So questions

Q1)   Do I HAVE to use up two blocks to do that, ie one for loop out and one for loop in?   

Q2)   Or is there a way to ue just one for the stereo out and in for the external FX.   

Q3)   Also would it be "weird" if I didn't use the FX loop to put the external effects after the HX stomp amp/cab?

Thanks!

Q1: This is the simplest chain within the stomp: compressor >>>> chorus >>>> FX Send/Return Block >>> amp/cab blocks

Walla. Done. That's a total of 4 or 5 blocks depending on if you split the amp and cab with one to spare.

Q2: Yes. See above.

Q3. I try to do it this way whenever possible because it saves blocks on the Stomp. Most of the time I think it works amazing. My advice, try it both ways and see if the tonal difference is worth losing a block for.

• 1 year later...

I found my way here after some searching. For the benefit of the next HXS newbie: don't forget that there are mono FX loop blocks and there are absolutely, definitely stereo FX loop blocks. I struggled with placing a mono L and a mono L FX loop block on separate paths thinking there had to be another way when I saw @phil_m's post. It's fairly obvious when adding the block on the actual device but if you're using HX Edit you might miss the mono/stereo menu.

My use case is a Pigtronix Infinity looper receiving a stereo signal from the FX send TRS (split to two TS connectors). Then the looper's output is blended the stereo output of my SDRUM, and the blended looper + SDRUM signal is brought back into the HXS's return. I think I prefer to sacrifice a block this way because of the advantage of being able to use the HXS's balanced outputs, keeping it at the end of the chain. I haven't made it all work yet but I have some faith.

But I'm new to this device so who knows if I'm right about any of this :-D

Screen Shot 2020-05-28 at 5.30.02 PM.png

image.png

• 2 months later...