Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Clean Warm Chet Atkins Sound?

robkay15

I don't own an helix but i was wondering about the clean warm chet atkins tone, can the helix produce this type of sound. I know a lot of the sound is in the playing but does the helix have the attributes to produce this sound for direct recording?

Rob(uk)

Chet recorded a lot with a low powered Standel tube amp with a 15" speaker. Live he could be seen playing solid state Peavey amps and in his later years a Musicman. There is nothing particularly special about any of the amps he used... they were very utilitarian. In the live environment it was all about being clean at a loud enough volume. Essentially... Chet liked amps that just reproduced the guitar signal (didn't particularly color it) and responded tightly with what he played.

So can a Helix do this? Absolutely. There are many great clean amps within the Helix to work with. The Deluxe, the Twin, the Jazz Chorus,  Boogie MKIV Channel 1, the Placater Clean, the HiWatt, etc... etc.... Any/All of those can produce warm clean tones. You can also mix/match cabinets with amps which opens up more options. 

How you monitor the Helix is very important. You mention you want to use it for recording, so in that case - I trust you have a nice set of studio monitors. 

I personally use the Placater Clean using Ownhammer Vox Class A Duo IR's 2x12 VC30 blend with the summary mix of mic's which is a 57, 70 and 121 as my goto Chet Atkins setup.  Not much is needed beyond that other than some warm reverb and maybe some minor compression at the end of the signal chain to even out the finger picking.  Of course  all of this is irrelevant unless you're using a Gretsch hollow or semi-hollow body guitar with Filter'Tron pickups.  That's really the key to getting his signature sound.  I personally use a Gretsch Silver Falcon for mine.

• Like 1