Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Dunlop Expression Pedal 0-100-0 sweep

mbouvrie

Hello,

I've been using the HX Stomp as a travel rig. I like it a lot, only problem is the expression pedal doesn't seem to calibrate properly. I've searched the internet up and down to no avail. How do I calibrate my Dunlop expression pedal to work as 0 being heel, and toe being 100? Currently, regardless of my min/max setting, the HX believes the halfway point is 100 and goes back down to zero. I'm not using a TRS cable to connect the expression pedal. 

Thank you

Sounds like the Dunlop pedal is designed to work with a TRS plug. What you are describing sounds like you've inadvertently tied the end terminals of the internal pot together. That would make the resistance zero at each end of the travel and it's highest value in the middle. If you can solder, you can build a simple cable to fix this. Put a TRS connector on the pedal end and a TS connector on the HX Stomp end. Connect T to T and S to S. Leave the R connection on the pedal side unconnected.

Mark

On 3/12/2019 at 6:29 AM, mbouvrie said:

Hello,

I've been using the HX Stomp as a travel rig. I like it a lot, only problem is the expression pedal doesn't seem to calibrate properly. I've searched the internet up and down to no avail. How do I calibrate my Dunlop expression pedal to work as 0 being heel, and toe being 100? Currently, regardless of my min/max setting, the HX believes the halfway point is 100 and goes back down to zero. I'm not using a TRS cable to connect the expression pedal. 

Thank you

Hi, I am using a Dunlop DVP4 Mini X as my expression pedal with my HX Effects. I was experiencing the same problem as you did until I reversed the polarity of the expression pedal input via the Global Settings in my HX Effects. I am using a regular TS cable and the DVP4 is inserted into the expression pedal input #2 (functions as a volume pedal). After reversing the polarity in the Global Setting, everything is working as it should.  Hope this helps. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, danielygo said:

Hi, I am using a Dunlop DVP4 Mini X as my expression pedal with my HX Effects. I was experiencing the same problem as you did until I reversed the polarity of the expression pedal input via the Global Settings in my HX Effects. I am using a regular TS cable and the DVP4 is inserted into the expression pedal input #2 (functions as a volume pedal). After reversing the polarity on the Global Setting, everything is working as it should.  Hope this helps. 

my man. Thank you. 

• 3 months later...

I tried for my setup, and what worked for me (I use TS cable):

- as suggested, reverse tip polarity in Global Settings (preferences -> Tip Polarity -> set to inverted)

- open the bottom of the DVP4 (just four screws, warranty doesn't get void) and set Tip - Ring switch to Ring.. 

After this settings with heel down I got 0 and with toe down I got maximum value. Thanks for the tip @danielygo

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

Thanks for this thread; it saved me a bunch of hassle! Just wanted to put in my 2 cents:  

Using the Dunlop Mini Vol/Exp. plugged into Exp 1/2 jack on HX Stomp with a normal TS (1/4" guitar) cable ie. no splitter, or trs cable.

Step 1 - Open up the back of the Volume Pedal and make sure the dip switches are set to Exp and Ring

Step 2 - In Global Settings on the HX Stomp, set Ring Polarity to Inverted.

This made the Dunlop pedal register as EXP 1 in the HX Stomp. Everything worked fine after that; heel down = 0%, toe down = 100%.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I tried the instructions above from downtowndale (reversed polarity in the stomp and opened up and changed the DVP4 to Ring. Still having the same issue. Heel is 0 and tow are 0% and 100% is in between. So frustrating. Any other options? 

• 3 months later...

Hey! SOLVED! 
So, here's the final setting that works for me!

You'll need: 

a Dunlop Mini Volume (X) MIni DVP4

a normal 1/4 TS cable, which is actually 6.3 jack cable patch.

Follow the steps as downtowndalebrown suggested

Step 1 - Open up the back of the Volume Pedal and make sure the dip switches are set to Exp and Ring

Step 2 - In Global Settings on the HX Stomp, set Ring Polarity to Inverted.

UPDATED step

Step 3 - Plug the patch cable into the 1/2 EXP input jack of HX Stomp - Plug the other side of the cable in the AUX input jack of the DVP4

CONSIDERATIONS: 

It still doesn't work if I insert the TS cable in the OUTPUT input jack of the DVP4

I hope it will help 

• 1 year later...

I have tried all of the above for my brand-new/working Dunlop Volume (X) Mini DVP4 and HX Effects. The volume on the DVP4 works, but can't get expression/WAH to work.

Was running 3.11 for both firmware and HX edit; have now upgraded both to 3.15.

Regardless, I plugged my working guitar into the DVP4's Input jack, and the standard TS cable running out of the DVP4's Aux jack into the HX Effect EXP1 jack. As I just did the factory reset following 3.15 install, I am trying to sample the Teardrop 310 Wah that is the second patch in 01A Gtr Starter. I have attempted combinations of DVP4 BINs EXP and both TIP and RING with the H Effects' Global Settings > Pedals> EXP1 Polarity set to Invert and then back to Normal.

As a volume pedal, the DVP4 works fine. So frustrating not to get expression. I wrote to Dunlop; they responded right away -- suggested I try a TRS cable. I have put in a support ticket with Line 6 and hope to hear from them soon.

• 1 year later...

This is my setup on HX Effects that finally works! It has only one small change: On HX Effects, use EXP 2 instead of EXP 1 (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Cable: a regular 1/4 TS cable

Dunlop DVP4 Volume (X) Mini:

• Set internal DIP switches to EXP and RING
  • Plug the cable into the AUX input jack

HX Effects (firmware 3.50.0):

• Plug the cable into the EXP 2 input jack
  • In the Global Setting change EXP 2 Polarity to Invert