Shuriken+helix lt how good is detuning?

freeman67

Hello there, seeking a way to keep my 7 string only and get rid of all others as I often swap from drop C/B /Bb C std  /drop D /E or semi tones. Im fed up playing with string gauges, waxing fretboards and so on.

Hows the shuriken with helix treating you for such use?  Think covering some trivium from old days to killswitch engage/machine head flying to arch enemy tuning and goofing around old SOaDown tunes.

I only play home so not seeking a super killer live tone. Just read palm muting isnt great. I see Frog Leap Leo and Raeba use this combo live and never noticed anything in their tone or his covers like plink.  Dont want to spend bucks on kemper, digitech drop tune. Variax seems to be the best for what i want. If any metal players could chime in, appreciated.

Thanks

14 hours ago, freeman67 said:

Hello there, seeking a way to keep my 7 string only and get rid of all others as I often swap from drop C/B /Bb C std  /drop D /E or semi tones. Im fed up playing with string gauges, waxing fretboards and so on.

Hows the shuriken with helix treating you for such use?  Think covering some trivium from old days to killswitch engage/machine head flying to arch enemy tuning and goofing around old SOaDown tunes.

I only play home so not seeking a super killer live tone. Just read palm muting isnt great. I see Frog Leap Leo and Raeba use this combo live and never noticed anything in their tone or his covers like plink.  Dont want to spend bucks on kemper, digitech drop tune. Variax seems to be the best for what i want. If any metal players could chime in, appreciated.

Thanks

The ugly truth is this: the individual guitar you get will either suffer from the "plink" issue, or it won't. Nobody, including L6, has been able to come up with a satisfactory explanation as to why it affects some users and not others. It's all been debated to death around here for years... the cause(s), fixes (both homespun remedies and official "try this or that" offerings from L6), conspiracy theories, etc etc.

Those who have the problem either find something that alleviates it, send the instrument back for another one, or decide that Variax just isn't for them. 

All that being said, mine works just fine and has for years... it's a JTV, not the Shuriken,  but the modeling engine is the same. I play a variety of stuff, and I like high gain tones as much as the next child of the 80's, and I have no plink problems. Ymmv...

• 8 months later...

Bit late to the party for the OP, but should anyone else have the same question and read this in future...

"Think covering some trivium from old days to killswitch engage/machine head flying to arch enemy tuning and goofing around old SOaDown tunes." is a fair chunk of my Rocksmith playlist and Shuriken + Helix LT + Yamaha HS5 studio monitors via the XLR outs is awesome for this, as it all sounds great and I step on a stomp and I am instantly in the tuning I need - so I have loads of presets with forced tunings going from E standard to A-drop-G ;)