Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

tube amp guy buys STOMP has no idea what modeling is. HELP!

talkbox1964

Hi-

Forgive me if this comes off as stupid.  I bought the Stomp as a modulation device to replace my Mobius.  I have been a Vox AC15 twin user for years and love the sound.  However, I am intrigued by all of the Amps and Cab that are inside that wonderful box called STOMP.   To start using it as a modeler.  What does a bedroom guitarist that is more concerned with tone and having fun, than touring needs.   Cab, power amp.....I have no clue.   Would love some suggestions for a person putting his toe into the digital realm ( mid range budget!)

Thanks Everyone!

I'm not super familiar with the AC15, but that amp doesn't have an FX loop, right? If that's the case, think of the "preamp" only amp models as glorified dirt boxes and try them out into the front end set pretty clean. Don't use cab modeling (at least until you're comfortable with how everything works) into a regular guitar amp/speaker set up. To get the most out of the cab/full amp model features something like a pair of studio monitors or a small powered PA speaker are the way to go for amplification. The most important thing to remember if you start messing around with amp/cab modeling is that a monitor/PA speaker is not meant to sound like your amp sitting in the room with you. It's supposed to sound like whatever amp model and cab model you've selected has been set-up and mic'ed in an isolation room at a studio and you're in the control room listening back. If you keep that in mind you might be pleasantly surprised with the quality of sounds you can get out of a "full modeling" rig.

Edit: not sure what your budget actually is, but Alto/Headrush make a nice little monitor.

• Upvote 2

Helix has digitally "modeled" the effects that a real amp and its dials/knobs, and cabinets has on a clean guitar signal. So, when you plug your guitar into it, it "digitizes" the guitar signal, then applies the amp and cabinet modeling. So, things like EQ, distortion, and compression are applied to the guitar signal. Then the processed digital signal is converted back to "analog" guitar signal and it comes out the output, ready for sending to an amplified speaker. Nothing magical, really, just 1's and 0's. Same thing happens when using any Helix effects blocks.