Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Reverb Spillover When Changing Snapshots

andymccraw

So there's a weird behavior that I noticed when I'm working with a snapshot that's aimed at creating a lush, ambient, swell-type of sound. When I switch to or from that particular snapshot it works perfectly, UNLESS, I've changed the MIX settings on the effect. So if Snapshot A is my ambient swells snapshot and I have the mix cranked up on the Glitz reverb, if I switch between that and another snapshot (or if I switch back to Snapshot A) I get this weird "surge" in sound that has a very abrupt beginning and then the natural decay.

Example: (silence) --> step on Snapshot A (ambient swells) --> expected behavior --> step on another snapshot --> expected behavior --> step on Snapshot A --> (don't touch my guitar) weird audio surge

The way around this has been to have to use a dedicated block to a swell reverb and leave the mix static between all snapshots, which is frustrating b/c I tend to fill up my blocks with effects and need all the space I can get. Why can't I simply use a single reverb effect and have the mix change per snapshot without causing this unusable situation. Why "unusable" you ask? Because typically when I'm doing these types of ambient swells it's during a very quiet portion of the music and this surge/spillover sticks out like a sore thumb and sounds terrible. Imagine it's nearly silent on stage and the effect you're hoping for is a subtle volume swell...nope, you get this brash, full volume dump of the effect.

Anyone got a good idea of how to avoid this?

4 hours ago, andymccraw said:

The way around this has been to have to use a dedicated block to a swell reverb and leave the mix static between all snapshots, which is frustrating b/c I tend to fill up my blocks with effects and need all the space I can get. Why can't I simply use a single reverb effect and have the mix change per snapshot without causing this unusable situation. Why "unusable" you ask? Because typically when I'm doing these types of ambient swells it's during a very quiet portion of the music and this surge/spillover sticks out like a sore thumb and sounds terrible. Imagine it's nearly silent on stage and the effect you're hoping for is a subtle volume swell...nope, you get this brash, full volume dump of the effect.

I've experienced this as well. The way you're approaching this anomaly is correct though. The one thing I've noticed is the Delay block is causing most of this. Especially when you have different ms and mix values from snapshot to snapshot. If you are using delay I would check that too.

Glenn DeLaune 
Website  |  Youtube Channel  |  Facebook  |  Line 6 Marketplace

The thing about spillover, is that it's basically just saying that instead of clearing the block entirely, it just switches off input, but the output keeps flowing.

So, if your new snapshot changes the mix level on that block, the mix level affects the signal that is spilling over, and you have to expect a discontinuity in the output levels.

• 3 years later...
On 6/10/2019 at 6:30 PM, andymccraw said:

So there's a weird behavior that I noticed when I'm working with a snapshot that's aimed at creating a lush, ambient, swell-type of sound. When I switch to or from that particular snapshot it works perfectly, UNLESS, I've changed the MIX settings on the effect. So if Snapshot A is my ambient swells snapshot and I have the mix cranked up on the Glitz reverb, if I switch between that and another snapshot (or if I switch back to Snapshot A) I get this weird "surge" in sound that has a very abrupt beginning and then the natural decay.

Example: (silence) --> step on Snapshot A (ambient swells) --> expected behavior --> step on another snapshot --> expected behavior --> step on Snapshot A --> (don't touch my guitar) weird audio surge

On 6/10/2019 at 6:30 PM, andymccraw said:

I may have a workaround that might help. Since going from one snapshot to another has an increase in the reverb mix, set up your ambient snapshot with the reverb off and then quickly engage the reverb once you switch over to the ambient snapshot. I realize this requires an extra step but works for me.

I have my patch setup with 4 snapshots on the top row: Clean, Heavy, Clean Boost, Swell. Bottom row is individual effects: Delay Dotted 8th, Dual Delay, and Glitz Reverb. In the Swell snapshot the Glitz is off. I can switch snapshots from Clean Boost to Swell, without the change in volume, and then engage the Glitz effect.