Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Replacing pup with a mini humbucker 4 conductor wiring

tayamaj

I want to change either the bridge or the neck  pup of the Variax Standard to a mini humbucker (Seymour SJBJ1 JB Jr. Strat Humbucker Pickup).   It has a 4 conductor wiring though.   Has anyone done this and if so, how would I go about doing this?   

I've seen discussions on switching out pups, but they were on the JTV, which I'm sure is the same, but no one mentioned a 4 conductor wire.    

The other two pups, I'm going to just replace with better single coil pups as the Variax Standard pups aren't very good.  

For single coil use this diagram,...

For humbucker, use JTV69 humbucker on this diagram,...

And make sure the pick-ups you are using have a DC/Bulk resistance specification of between 6k-Ohms to 8k-Ohms,

or the tone colour (EQ) won't sound right.

At a DCR or DC/Bulk resistance spec of 15.2k-Ohms, that will have a very dark tone to it.

Variax is not a guitar with passive electronics, the active circuits require impedance matching.

So keep it in that 6k-Ohms to 8k-Ohms  range.

Thanks!   Looks like the Seymour Duncan bridge might be rated at 16.09k.   I'm not great with electronics when it comes to resistors.  Can I still get this pickup and just have it professionally installed?  

Thanks!

Yes. But it will have a very dark tone to it.

And remember the caveats,... Line 6 does not support modifications to it's products. If it adversely affects the function of the guitar,

the modifications would void any warranty. So be careful what you modify, and how you modify it.

The postings in the Knowledge Base are an informative. We do not know the abilities of, or vouch for those not part of the network of

authorized service centers. I see too many who tell us they know what they are doing, only to have their guitar on my repair bench a couple

of weeks later. BTW,... cannot send it to me to do the mods, we don't have a custom shop for that (everybody asks that).

Want you to go into this with eyes open. This is not the usual passive guitar electronics of old. It's a whole other critter, so treat it as such.

Just a few things to be aware.