Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How to hear the band on helix

Jessy0805

I can’t seem to figure out how I can monitor the band (instruments & vocals) through the helix. Can I get any help on what setup I need to be able to monitor the mix through helix. I am connected into the snake that feeds our FOH.  Thanks in advance. 

I'm having trouble understanding your need to do this. I understand the words - just not the concept. Helix is not designed for that. While it has excellent routing capabilities it's a signal processor - not a mixer.

Helix accepts input signals from one or more sources, applies DSP to the signal, and routes the processed output signal(s) to one or more monitor or mixer devices. Presumably your other sound sources (instruments and vocals) are already being fed to FOH through the snake. I can't see the need or benefit to connect them to Helix instead, or additionally. Are you not already using stage monitors fed back by the FOH mix whereby you can hear the mix of the entire band? If so, why do you want Helix to do that too? If not, what are you now using on stage to monitor the mix?  

What am I missing in your question?

Thanks for the reply  silverhead. 

The reason is that we are using IEMs and we no longer use stage monitors because our church is so limited to space and we are all bunched up into a corner and having the drums and electrical instruments makes it hard to have clear sound. Which is why we decided IEMs and our guitarist actually managed to have the mix send into his PODHD500X maybe there isn't really an option for that setup but he  made it happen and I want to do the same but again I wouldn't know since I just bought the helix about a month ago. Sorry, if my inquiry makes no sense.

Thanks again and anything helps!

I have no experience with IEMs but perhaps others can chime in here.

In any case, I'm sure you can examine what your guitarist is doing with the HD500X and mimic it in Helix. If you have trouble with that you can post a detailed description of what he is doing (connections, monitor, etc...) and get help to mimic it.

For instance, if he is taking a stereo mix feed from FOH (e.g. from a MON output on the mixer) and feeding it into the cd/mp3 input you can do the same using the Helix Return 1/2 inputs. In the HD500X the cd/mp3 input is routed directly to the outputs without any processing. In Helix you will have to set up Path B with Return 1/2 as the input, with no processing blocks on the path. I expect you'll need to make sure this path is not fed to the same output that your Helix uses to feed the FOH snake; otherwise you'll be feeding the mixer outputs (the mix with the rest of the band) back into its inputs possibly creating a feedback loop. How is your other guitarist handling that with his HD500X?

How is your guitarist monitoring the HD500X (since he's presumably not using the IEMs that everyone else is using). Headphones? Will you do the same? Are the IEMs working for the other band members? Are you all happy using different monitoring systems?

As you see I have more questions than answers. It just seems to me like a strange thing to be doing.

As for the band including myself on the piano we are all using our own Rolls PMS351 (Personal Monitor Station) that we then connect to the Rolls PS16 that supplies the DC power  to our individual PM351s. the Rolls PM16 is then connected to the snake  (XLR in) which sends signal from FOH to our PM351s. The tech engineer then feeds us all even signal of every instrument and vocals. The PM351 gives us the ability to turn up our instrument volume without effecting band or monitors of the church. So, as for that set up we are all very happy. IDK how the guitarist managed to do the same but using his PODHD500X and he does use IEMs which he also enjoys very much since he was also able to have a stereo setup in his IEM controling botht the over all mix and his guitar volume without effecting band members.

As you mentioned the Helix is a signal processor and NOT a mixer but I am trying to find a way to do the same as the lead guitarist because we do NOT have monitors in front of us and we all rely on IEMs.  I will try those ideas you shared and I appreciate it!

I don't understand why you'd want to run your monitor signal through the Helix. It can be done, but it's more trouble than it's worth. If you're sending you Helix signal to the board, that will be coming back through your monitor already, and you already said you can control your own mix... So what benefit does running the monitor signal through your Helix get you?