Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Low Volume

boz52

I have Helix Native with MacBook OS Mojave and a thunderbolt T4 audio interface.  For some reason, all of the presets sound low.  When I play along a backing track, I have to set it very low in order for me to play along.  Is there a setting i'm missing to make the preset louder without clipping? Any help is greatly appreciated. 

You haven't said how you're using Native, so I'll make assumptions here.

Volume can be adjusted in several places.

First, get a healthy signal at your audio interface High-Z input, but not clipping when you hit all the strings hard.

With Native as your first plug-in, set the Native Input level (left side) so its averaging around -12 (but again, avoid clipping on any peaks).

Final output from Native is set using the Output level (right side). Maybe -6 db here, and avoid clipping.

After that, the level for the Native track or channel strip will be set by your track fader (and effected by any subsequent plug-in volume gain or reduction).

• 2 months later...

Native will tell you both the input and output decibel levels via the vertical bars on the left and right sides.  What is your peak dB readings of each?  If your input is low, solution would be to increase gain on your DI.  If your output is low, as sounddog said you can adjust volume in several places including most blocks or simply increasing gain on the output.

P.S.  If your output level is fine (I'm not an audio engineer, I just know its not supposed to be < 0, ex. around -6 to -12?), then its a setting in your DAW.