Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

External Expression Pedal Bug and Fix - LT v2.81

ppoceiro

Hi.

Did my update with some trouble from 2.70 to 2.81. Freezing half way through and Helix was not recognized anymore.

After several attempts with different USB cables and different ports it was eventualy recognized and resumed update.

Just a heads up. Be patient and follow the suggestions L6 posted. Try different USB cables, different USB ports, reinstall drivers. It wil work.

About this bug. 

I always used an external exp pedal with the my LT. 

I use a dual exp pedal. Boss EV30 and always worked great. 

I always used a stereo cable despite L6 recommended TS cables because I don't have to invert polarities or mess around with the pedal settings.

Did the update. The pedal worked great the first day. The second day and since then the pedal works only when I boot the Helix. After changing to any other preset it stops working.

If I disconnect it the onboard pedal works. Connecting again the external it doesn't work.

Reintalled the 2.81 firware, restored Helix to factory settings and the problem persisted.

Tryied to change the cable to another stereo cable and problem persisted.

About the fix.

I tried just for the sake of it a TS cable and voilá! The pedal works again with no issues.

So along the way L6 changed something in the new firmware that cause this. Don't know if they are aware but you now know.

Had to invert the polarity in the pedal but no problem there.

Just FYI. Some reported problems with the expression pedal but not clarifying if it's the onboard or an external pedal.

I have no issues with the onboard expression pedal in 2.81.

Just the external one.

Also had some problems with a few presets freezing the GUI in the Helix and an error message in the HX Edit. 

Remade one of them. Didn't try the workaround already suggested to delete all the parameters assigned.

After the firmware reinstall, complete reset and the presets rebuilt again I had no more issues with them. 

Hope this helps someone.

Thank you for your dedication L6 guys! Loving the new amp models.

Cheers!

• Thanks 1

Update:

There is however a bug still.

The external pedal seems to loose its calibration from time to time.

It's not preset dependent. 

Reconnecting solves it temporally. But after a while it no longer goes from 0 to 100%.  

It seems to go to 100% but at full sweep it backs up to 98 or 96%.

For volume it's a minor problem but for whammy it is noticeable.

I had exactly the same issue when using my external expression pedals with my helix rack. I was using TS cables to connect my two Boss FV-500 pedals. It would initially work but then would start going down to 95/96%, then would just drop to 60%. I would also had to invert the polarity. I eventually fixed this by using a TRS to TS cable. Solder the the tip to tip and shield to shield but leave out the ring on the TRS side. TS goes to helix TRS goes to pedal. If you are connecting when the helix is on, make sure you connect the cable to the pedal first then to helix and it will self calibrate. I now have perfect 100% every time and I don't have to invert the polarity. 

Edited by richsg
Error in description

12 hours ago, richsg said:

I had exactly the same issue when using my external expression pedals with my helix rack. I was using TS cables to connect my two Boss FV-500 pedals. It would initially work but then would start going down to 95/96%, then would just drop to 60%. I would also had to invert the polarity. I eventually fixed this by using a TRS to TS cable. Solder the the tip to tip and shield to shield but leave out the ring on the TRS side. TS goes to helix TRS goes to pedal. If you are connecting when the helix is on, make sure you connect the cable to the pedal first then to helix and it will self calibrate. I now have perfect 100% every time and I don't have to invert the polarity. 

Hi.

I also used the FV-500H for a while. After a few tests I used it with a TRS-TRS cable and inverted the polarity. Didn't had any issues with the calibration and no drops in the sweep.

The pedal had a problem with the pot because the sweep was not smooth and I ended up buying the EV-30.

I will try a TRS-TS cable has you suggest.

The thing is, prior to the v2.81 update I didn't have any issues using the pedal with the TRS cable.

Thanks for the input.