Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Floor, PC+, Mesa Mark V-25 combo ?

JLondon

Okay here's one for ya and is probably simpler than I'm trying to make it.  WITHOUT using 4 cable method, how would you setup these 3 pcs together keeping in mind that the Mesa V-25 amp has it's own cab model (passive) IR and speaker load box option that sends out a "line" signal.  With that in mind I'm thinking 4CM shouldn't be necessary and that I could simply put PC+ in Flat mode.  In other words, I'm basically just wanting to use the Helix Floor like a Helix "Effects" into the Mesa into the PC+ in as close to 'series' as possible - and not have a ridiculous amount of cabling.   I already know the Mesa sounds awesome straight into the PC+ so I'm just wanting to introduce the Helix Floor into the mix.  Can the "Floor" be made to work like an "Effects"?

If you don't want your time based effects (like delays) between your mesa preamp and poweramp, you're good. If it's just the messy cables, see the other thread "4cm too messy" for suggestions on taming the snakes.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, rd2rk said:

If you don't want your time based effects (like delays) between your mesa preamp and poweramp, you're good. If it's just the messy cables, see the other thread "4cm too messy" for suggestions on taming the snakes.

Yeah, I'm just wanting to keep it simple.  My Mesa does have a loop in the back, but I also have other amps that don't (for which I have a Torpedo Captor to handle speaker load and cab model).  I've used 4CM with traditional pedal boards and amp loops but in this case my mods are to be more simple for just a slightly less dry signal - nothing crazy.  I also have the option of running my Mesa straight into my DAW and using Native.  I was just looking for an easier option or one that didn't require firing up the computer or "messy cabling".  So can the Helix Floor be plugged directly into the front of an amp like the Helix Effects?

7 minutes ago, JLondon said:

Yeah, I'm just wanting to keep it simple.  My Mesa does have a loop in the back, but I also have other amps that don't (for which I have a Torpedo Captor to handle speaker load and cab model).  I've used 4CM with traditional pedal boards and amp loops but in this case my mods are to be more simple for just a slightly less dry signal - nothing crazy.  I also have the option of running my Mesa straight into my DAW and using Native.  I was just looking for an easier option or one that didn't require firing up the computer or "messy cabling".  So can the Helix Floor be plugged directly into the front of an amp like the Helix Effects?

Yes to front of amp, but you'll want to set the 1/4" outputs to Instrument level in Globals.

I'm a little late to the party, but I thought I'd comment since I run a Helix Floor into a Mesa Mark5:35. I use the Helix exactly like a pedal board and think of it that way as far as programming, and run it right into the front of the amp, at either the 35 or 25 watt settings. I tried the loop and didn't like it at all. I keep all the normal tone controls flat on the Mesa and use the graphic EQ to taste (depending on the room, etc.)  I have found the Helix to be generally a little top-heavy across the board so I use a bit of Helix global EQ to tame that and leave it set, and then use the Mesa graphic as needed, mostly again rolling off some highs and boosting 80hz some. FYI - I play mostly bluesy light and mid-gain tones, fat cleans and a few lead tones but nothing approaching metal. It's pretty easy to use the Helix global EQ, but the Mesa graphic is more immediately available in gig situations for quick adjustments.

One fun interesting thing that's *not like a pedal board is using "an amp in front of an amp". I've gotten some Fender tones that I would swear are coming from a Fender amp if I wasn't looking right at the Boogie! 

EDIT: I just wanted to add that this all works gtreat using the DI XLR out of the Boogie into my Apollo interfaxce. My amp has 3 settings, open, vintage and closed- not sure about the 25watt. They all 3 sound good, but I tend toward the open back setting. I'm a recording guy too, so I'm pretty picky about that stuff, but I think the Mesa DI sounds good and quite usable.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, doctorvague said:

I'm a little late to the party, but I thought I'd comment since I run a Helix Floor into a Mesa Mark5:35. I use the Helix exactly like a pedal board and think of it that way as far as programming, and run it right into the front of the amp, at either the 35 or 25 watt settings. I tried the loop and didn't like it at all. I keep all the normal tone controls flat on the Mesa and use the graphic EQ to taste (depending on the room, etc.)  I have found the Helix to be generally a little top-heavy across the board so I use a bit of Helix global EQ to tame that and leave it set, and then use the Mesa graphic as needed, mostly again rolling off some highs and boosting 80hz some. FYI - I play mostly bluesy light and mid-gain tones, fat cleans and a few lead tones but nothing approaching metal. It's pretty easy to use the Helix global EQ, but the Mesa graphic is more immediately available in gig situations for quick adjustments.

One fun interesting thing that's *not like a pedal board is using "an amp in front of an amp". I've gotten some Fender tones that I would swear are coming from a Fender amp if I wasn't looking right at the Boogie! 

EDIT: I just wanted to add that this all works gtreat using the DI XLR out of the Boogie into my Apollo interfaxce. My amp has 3 settings, open, vintage and closed- not sure about the 25watt. They all 3 sound good, but I tend toward the open back setting. I'm a recording guy too, so I'm pretty picky about that stuff, but I think the Mesa DI sounds good and quite usable.

Thanks so much - your reply is still very helpful, late or otherwise.  I have a similar playing style/interest as yourself.  I haven't tried the dual amp thing with the Helix.  I'm curious to know which amp sim on the Helix you are using and how your are routing it in the Helix chain.  I have also found, contrary to opinions/reviews I've read, that the "passive" cab sim on the Mesa is fantastic through both my DAW and now the PC+ (and I prefer "open" setting as well).  It sure beats the 'on-board' cab that came with my "active" Two Notes Torpedo Captor - however, since posting this thread, I've tried running my Mesa through the Captor via traditional speaker cable and sending just a dry signal to the PC+ which allows me to use the PC+ cab sims or IRs (I'm a big fan of PC+ Vintage and Heritage).  The latter is technically the absolute best sounding of my options, but adding another pc of hardware and cabling does complicate matters a bit and contrary to the purpose of my OP - and I do like simple (why I bought the Helix in the first place).   But now that I'm on track with this mission (thanks to the help of everyone on this thread), I will start playing around with EQs as you mentioned.  Thanks again!

I use a bunch of different amps to get different flavors. I'm still pretty new to the Helix (3 gigs) so I'm still experimenting. I usually put amps (or preamps) in the middle of the chain with compression (if I'm using it) first and volume pedal after, then delays and verbs. Mods like flange and chorus placement vary as to whatever sounds good, same with OD pedals. Sometimes just using the preamp section of the Helix amp works best and sometimes the whole amp, but I only rarely use amp+cab in front of the Mesa as the cabs tend to sound smeared and roomy- and not in a good way, in my rig at least.Pprobably 1/3 of my presets just use pedals and no amp at all.

My Helix is packed for a gig tonight, but if I remember later, I'll go through my settings and list some amp/preamp models I'm using that work well.