Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Effects Loop for Helix

OrangeBlackstar

Good Evening, 

I'm researching into the Helix because this unit looks amazing and I want to figure out as much as I can before I decide to buy it. 

For the effects loops, I have two questions:

1.) In the manual, it says that the levels should be set to instrument if connecting to external pedals. This originally made sense to me, but after further thought I wondered if this is true when the effects loop comes after the amp. My understanding is that when a signal goes through a guitar amp it becomes line level. Is this the same with amp models in the Helix or does it remain instrument level throughout the entire signal chain, regardless of whether or not an amp block is used? If it passes through the amp model and becomes a line level signal, would I then need to set the levels in global settings for effects loops to line, or still have them remain as instrument since they're connecting to external pedals? The pedal that I'll be putting in the loop is the carbon copy. 

2.) I've been looking into putting a buffer into my rig at the start, way before the Helix. This research has led me to understand that some amps have buffered effects loops. If I were to use all 4 of the Helix's effects loops, or even just one with really long cables and a long signal path, I'm concerned about tone degradation. Are the effects loops in the Helix buffered? 

Sorry if these are basic questions, I couldn't find the exact answers I needed anywhere else. I appreciate any and all input. 

1) If the effects are intended to receive Instrument levels (like the CC), set the loops for Instrument level. If they're intended for line level (rack gear), set to line.

2) I'm pretty sure the Helix Effects loops are buffered. You can adjust the level of the Send/Return jacks, so it probably compensates for any signal loss.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, OrangeBlackstar said:

My understanding is that when a signal goes through a guitar amp it becomes line level.

Real amps? Not all effect loops in real amps are line level. If it isn't stated in the manual of the amp, then you need to check with the manufacturer. 

19 hours ago, OrangeBlackstar said:

Is this the same with amp models in the Helix

Helix AMP Models will have no bearing on whether or not the effects loops are instrument/line. The loops are set separately in the global settings.

Regarding Instrument Level, Consumer Line Level (-10), Pro Line Level (+4) and even Mic Level. The key word is at the end.... "level"!

Aside from "instrument vs line" for the Helix Loops, each also has a "send and return level" you can use to compensate for the many differences that can occur. 

• Upvote 1